Stock K8 exhaust maniflod vs. Headers on KLZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_ryder
antispam: No

Stock K8 exhaust maniflod vs. Headers on KLZE

Post by mx3_ryder »

I was wondering if someone could tell me if the stock K8 cast exhaust manifolds and y-pipe sound better than headers on a KLZE? And what I mean by better is do they retain some of the stock K8 1.8 V6 sound? I have headers on my ZE and like the sound (little raspy), but like the sound of the 1.8L K8 better. I wouldn't trade power for sound anyday as the ZE has way more nut. I'm thinking of putting the stock manifolds back on as I never tried them when I put the motor in as I put headers on during the swap. I also feel I may gain alittle low to mid range performance with the stock manifolds. :D
Last edited by mx3_ryder on September 14th, 2013, 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: STOCK K8 EXHAUST MANIFOLD VS. HEADERS ON A KLZE

Post by MrMazda92 »

The stock setup sounds amazing, for what it's worth... But I've got both a K8 and KL with stock logs, and I prefer the K8 sound any day.

I've always liked the sound better... but a good choice of resonator and mufflers will put you close with a KL.
I recommend you find just the right resonator and muffler for your tastes, and keep the headers. :D
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
mx3_ryder

Post by mx3_ryder »

Thanks MrMazda92
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I had headers going into a stock exhaust with a magnaflow muffler and it sounded great. Very similar to the K8 but with a deeper and slightly louder sound when you depressed the accelerator.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

You can control the tone and the "rasp" by adjusting the pipe size, resonator and the muffler. It would be a lot better than using the K8's headers.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'm still trying to choose a stock-ish sounding muffler, that isn't a flow nightmare, or a $300+ MazdaSpeed muffler.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

This muffler sounded great, I'd like to install another one on my white MX3 but the look of the dual tips on my existing muffler is holding me back. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... n&id=10651
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

The crappy thing, is the 2.25" inlet :( I'm running 2.5" piping for mine. I'm partial to the dual outlets myself as well, but it's not a requirement for me!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

MrMazda92 wrote:The crappy thing, is the 2.25" inlet :( I'm running 2.5" piping for mine. I'm partial to the dual outlets myself as well, but it's not a requirement for me!
They do have other sized muffler sizes. My dual tip is 3" inlet.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Good to know :)
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
ribarra3

Post by ribarra3 »

Im currently running Bosal's Brospeed Headers on my KL03 (or so i think its a KL03) and 2.25" piping/No Cat with a Vibrant Performance Universal muffler. Yep, its loud.

Im looking to drive daily soon and maybe take a road trip. Im 31 years old and I dont want to lose my hearing.

Im looking to run a Vibrant Performance Bottle Style Resonator and A High Flow Cat. I understand it wont be immensely quiet, as I dont want to restrict flow and lose power.

I just need someone to validate my approach. Is this a decent set up? Im looking to purchase these 2.5" in diameter.

Can someone please advise, me. Thanks!
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

I love the sound of the V6. My biggest disappointment with my BPT swap is the exhaust sound. :(

The aftermarket headers also make the bay looks so much cleaner (IMO).
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

I am with you on that ^^

If you are dead set on stock manifolds aren't the 2.5 OE manifolds larger than the K8's!? If that is the case then that would be the option I would go with.
Pritchett
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Pritchett »

Josh wrote:I am with you on that ^^

If you are dead set on stock manifolds aren't the 2.5 OE manifolds larger than the K8's!? If that is the case then that would be the option I would go with.
I don't think they are, well.. I didn't notice any difference in size when I swapped the kl's rear manifold for the k8's.
93 mx-3 GS (KLZE w/kl01 cams, XTD stage 3 clutch, Outlaw intake/throttle body spacers, throttle body coolant delete, headers, full 2.5" exhaust w/resonator and 40 series flowmaster, filled engine mounts)
99 silverado
kulluminati777
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by kulluminati777 »

Pritchett wrote:
Josh wrote:I am with you on that ^^

I don't think they are, well.. I didn't notice any difference in size when I swapped the kl's rear manifold for the k8's.

thats good news because i have K8 manifolds on my KLZE :shock:
View my worklog: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77688

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”