Sunroof problem.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
cWs306
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Sunroof problem.

Post by cWs306 »

Hey, yah the cars pretty much sold but i dont wanna sell it with non working parts haha. So heres my issue. My sunroof worked a-okay since the day ive owned my car. took the little assistance to open it when it was closed, but thats how all mx-3s are. anyways, now.. it opens perfectly fine still BUT it doesnt close! i hold the button and nothing happens, cant even hear the motor go. but if i like push up real hard and pretty much pull on it a bit itll close, but it likes to stop and d--- around then work more and close more. its a twat. but i can open it so its just cracked open and have no issues closing it. only issues come when its open to the point where u can look up out of the car. What do you guys think is the problem here? worn out motor?(dunno tho because it opens fine) or maybe a sticky track? asap pleasseeee! thanks!
mitmaks

Re: Sunroof problem.

Post by mitmaks »

Have you tried cleaning tracks, lubricating it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
cWs306

Post by cWs306 »

No i have not, i was just getting some information before i went ahead and tried to fix it. but i guess ill try that tomorrow. any other ideas? i dont get why it opens fine but doesnt close wortha crap, moves fine sometimes as i pull n push up but then itll stop as im doing that and i gotta dink around more. :shrug:
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Cleaning tracks will help tremendously. I usually do that every spring as a part of maintenance.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Switch. My parents Escape does that, I've replaced that switch a good 3-4 times and it needs to be replaced again. If the motor works fine for opening, and you don't hear it work for closing, either the motor is shot for the reverse polarity or it's the switch. Simplest thing would be to disconnect it and jumper it manually. Was funny, many years ago my parents came to pick me up from VA, with a round about detour to NJ to get the SRD crossmember and tie bar, and during the drive, I drove and i opened the sunroof to give thumbs up to a trucker (blocking one lane of traffic because people were shooting ahead to merge in last minute to a closed lane, causing back up for several miles), anyway... when I did that, my dad flipped because they said it wouldn't close. I pulled over into a rest area, my dad gets out and storms off pissed and go to the washroom. I casually stroll to the hatch, pull out a philips, remove the screw, drop the controls, close the contacts with said screw driver and watch it easilly close.

Every time I go to the wreckers, I pocket as many of those switches as I can, but they're typically mostly gone, I would guess for that reason. It's an easy check, I wouldn't force it. I know my parents '90 626 has a manual close mechanism for emergencies, I'm surprised that the Mx-3 doesn't, should check the manual.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Redline322

Post by Redline322 »

I'm pretty sure mine came with a manual crank, I know proteges with the power sunroof had them as well. IIRC they are basically a large allen key that you'll see after you drop the switch from the roof liner.
93 323 Bp'd, Front and rear strut braces, Mx-3 seats, JDM headlights and grill SOLD
93 Mx-3 GS Curved-Neck KLZE, 5 speed Conversion, Fidanza Flywheel, Cross Drilled Rotors

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”