random 1 cyl misfire

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

random 1 cyl misfire

Post by SpatialTerror »

well i dont for sure know if its on one cylinder cuz i cant pull injectors 1 at a time. but im pretty sure thats what it is. its got a new cap and rotor. (i figured that was the problem) but it didnt fix it. ckp wire is fine. and the spark plug wires arent brand new but i bought em last summer and i dont have the $160 or whatever they cost to buy new ones. and i pulled the plugs there all lookin good. so any suggestions?
oh yea this is a 93 gs with a kl in it.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: random 1 cyl misfire

Post by Ryan »

Problem listed by probability:

75% - Distributor (coil or ignitor, a simple resistance test doesn't always tell you what you want to know, because 20kvolts travels differently than the 1v your multimeter puts out)
10% - ECM can't figure out the proper a/f ratio because of a vac leak or the O2's are messed
10% - plugs or plug wires are no good, once again, a simple multimeter may not tell you the truth.
-5% - injector problem.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Re: random 1 cyl misfire

Post by SpatialTerror »

well just figured it out. water sat in my distributor and it was arcing causing a misfire. but in the process of repairing my harness for the maf i fried my probe ecu. so it looks like im back to the k8 for now. if i can find the maf for it.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”