seraching for idle when warm

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
slayer322
antispam: No

seraching for idle when warm

Post by slayer322 »

so, Ive had an issue with my ze since i dropped it in about 9 months ago. I can seem to get it to idle anywhere near 700RPM, usually its at about 1200RPM and randomly, it will idle at 700RPM until i drive it to the next light and then it will idle at whatever it likes. The other issue is that when the motor is fully warm or after Ive given it a bit of s---, it rev's up and down between 1000RPM and about 1500 RPM. As soon as it hits 1500RPM it drops to 800RPM and repeats itself. The only way i can get it to idle is if i press the gas peddle multiple time, but as soon as i stop, i returns to searching for idle.

Here's what I've tried:

Different throttle-body (including TPS sensor)
looked for vacuum leaks
changed CAI (in-case of possible leaks)
played with the idler screw ( i can screw it completely closed and the car does the same thing or will rev higher if i un-screw it)

Specs:
96 MX-3 GS OBDII
KLZE w/ K31 Cams
CAI
Pacesetters
2.5" SS mandrel bent
no ignition mods
Throttle body coolant bypassed

engine codes :
EGR codes associated with no EGR equipment hooked up
sometimes MAP / BARO code but very rarely

Video:

any help would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by slayer322 on March 13th, 2011, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1996 Mazda MX-3 GS - DD / Always a project Car
ZE + Pacesetters = <3
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: seraching for idle when warm

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

soooo have you cleared your codes with the code reader? Have you tried resetting the ecu?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
carizle

Post by carizle »

this might sound silly, but have you tried making sure your battery cables were tight? mine did the same thing when i bought it and bugged the hell outta me. then one day i went to disconnect the cable and it wasnt tightened at all. ran perfectly after that. ive also heard around here that due to the location of some coolant temp sensor if your coolant is low or has air bubbles it can make the idle go wacky as well.
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
slayer322

Post by slayer322 »

thanks for all the replies guys, ill be taking a look into those possibilities today or so and ill left you know of the outcome
ZE + Pacesetters = <3
slayer322

Post by slayer322 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:soooo have you cleared your codes with the code reader? Have you tried resetting the ecu?
and yes, i have cleared all my codes every time Ive had any codes other then the EGR codes
ZE + Pacesetters = <3
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ok, you said you played with the idle screw. You have to have TEN and Grd jumped to adjust that. It usually starts at around 3 turns out. Reset that first and set it so the engine idles at 650 rpm then when out of diag mode it'll jump to 700. Turn the screw in until the engine idle starts to die then turn the screw out till it just reaches 650 but not past that or your engine could run sluggish. I also assume your running a KL02 VAF right.

I just noticed this, (Throttle body coolant bypassed) why did you bypass this? We need this in Canada, it gets cold here and the engine needs a higher idle during warm up. Reconnect this and see what happens.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I agree with dan. The coolant lines through the TB control what is called the BAC valve, which is a thermostat for air. cold = extra air passage, hot = thermostat style valve closes extra air passage.

Since you've screwed with the idle screw, and the IAC valve has its limits, the car is probably pissed at you because its so far out of whack it actually can't correct your shady mechanic skills.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

spray all your vacuum lines, TB gasket and IM gaskets with some brake clean and see if the rpm goes up?
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
slayer322

Post by slayer322 »

well, finally got to messing around with the ze last night.

I jumped TEN and GND together and set the idler screw and it idled at about 750RPM for quite some time, but after my 10 min commute home, it was still doing the same bouncing revs thing.

I didn't get a chance to re-connect the coolant lines to the throttle body but the car does idle properly more often at least :)

As for the vacuum leak possibility, i went through all the lines again thoroughly and still came up with nothing :|.

I'm going to try a JE50 VAF (not sure why i have a KL02 on there in the first place) and set my TPS properly and see what that does for me.

Possibly a different ECU as well since i sometimes get a MAP / BARO Circuit malfunction, which im told is an ecu problem :S
ZE + Pacesetters = <3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”