klze stutter @ higher RPM's?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Fragz
antispam: No

klze stutter @ higher RPM's?

Post by Fragz »

I made a video at what its doing.....almost feels like a rev' limiter when it starts lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uii9SRw4oTY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it will also do this at a light....well....if Im at a light and I just start moving it will do it for a sec.......so yah not sure....sounds like its almost dropping a cyl. for some reason....I checked my plugs and the burn patterns on them is fine....checked all my wires....seems fine.....I just replaced the dizzy a few months ago (this just started).....looked for any possible vac leaks and found nuttin........

suggestions on s--- to check?
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: klze stutter @ higher RPM's?

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Let me know if you figure out what this is because mine is doing exactly the same thing except worse. I think it's the tensioner on its way out.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Actually that kind of sounds something like my blown motor, except mine was much worse. The only way I could describe it is that it was "fluttering"
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

That sir is a spark issue, my k8 had the issue when my disti was /went out and ended up being a bad coil. Check that also what are the condition of cap,rotor, plugs, and wires? Check the cap to see if you have excessive white carbon buildup and clean as neccessary, suggestion if you still have a distributor get rid of it for an hei mod!! one year i went through 4 disti's and since the mod not a single problem. good luck on what you find :welder:
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

it definitely sounds spark related.......the dizzy has seen maybe 100km....if that......Ill take the cap off and see if theres anything noticeable.....I think it may be time for new wires though
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Does it sound something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kswrShHa7n8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had this to... With me it was the cable between disti and external coil + my coil itself wasn't that good either.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

yup sounds a lot like that! looks like Ill be checking out those connections shortly lol
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

Mooneggs also had a similar problem, at full throttle it would stutter but say at 50-75 percent throttle would not. I would check your wires because thats what actually went out in his and curious enough it was his 2nd set of msd wires.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Fragz

Post by Fragz »

yah I might order a new set of wires.....either way I think they need replacing!
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

I agree, it absolutely does sound like an ignition issue. That is, it sounds like one plug doesn't fire at high RPM. I agree that coil or plugs are the prime suspects.

However, just as another possibility... do you index the spark plugs so the gap is facing toward the intake valve? If not, the ground strap could be shielding the gap between it and the electrode. If so, when the new gas/air mixture enters the cylinder, it hits the strap, goes around -- not into to the gap. At high RPM, there might not be enough time for the mixture to get into the gap before the plug fires. If this is the case, when the plug fires, it'll be firing through exhaust, not through gas/air, and the spark might not take.

Moroso (I believe) makes an indexing kit. Some people always index their plugs as a best practice anyways. You can "try" yours by turning a plug a quarter turn and then road test it again, then try the next plug, etc.
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Hey thanks a lot, this thread helped me figure out my issue! For me it was the plug wires, read more here: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=75240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was EXACTLY like yours but worse, at every RPM even at idle. One of my plug wires was probably garbage or something...
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Another idea. If the total timing is too far advanced, then part of the spark could be heading down the wrong wire. That is, if the release from the coil occurs while the rotor is between two posts, some of the charge may be split between the posts. I only mention this because the problem manifests at high RPM, and not lower. My primary suspicion is the coil, but it the problem still exists after the coil and wires have been ruled out, This may be worth checking in to.
Oregon Outdoors
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

OROutdoors wrote:Another idea. If the total timing is too far advanced, then part of the spark could be heading down the wrong wire. That is, if the release from the coil occurs while the rotor is between two posts, some of the charge may be split between the posts. I only mention this because the problem manifests at high RPM, and not lower. My primary suspicion is the coil, but it the problem still exists after the coil and wires have been ruled out, This may be worth checking in to.
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:this thread helped me figure out my issue! For me it was the plug wires,[...] One of my plug wires was probably garbage or something...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

Nd4SpdSe -- seems like you are saying that the problem is over because -Night-Shade-'s problem is solved. I think this is great. However, this is Frag's thread, not Night Shade's. I hope you don't mind if we continue to try to hepo Fragz, so long as he still has a problem.
Oregon Outdoors
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ah true, sorry.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”