smoking alternator

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
eunosklde
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

smoking alternator

Post by eunosklde »

Hey folks i got a mx3 with a 626 kl64,kl31 ecu JE50 vaf new belts the lot.i used the k8 mx3 alterntor couse it didnt come with the engine when i got it.Everything ran sweet till yestarday when i noticed smoke comeing from the alternator and the car was losen a bit of hp.The next day i went to start the car to see how she was running the battery was dead flat.The reason for my post is wahy would the alternator start smoking and why would the battery go flat.And i was thinking of changing the pulleys to same light wight performance ones is it worth the hassle changing them.Thanx for any advice you give me..
wytbishop

Re: smoking alternator

Post by wytbishop »

Well lots of white smoke from any electrical component means that something fried inside. If it's just a stinky, burny smell then it's more likely that something is creating a heavy draw on the alternator and it's being asked to provide more current than it can do safely. Which will eventually fry the Regulator.

Good bet though that it's fried if the battery died. Recharge the battery, check the condition and tension of the belt. If the belt is really bad, like worn spots or melty looking the bearing in the alternator shaft might be going. Spin the pully...it should be tight but smooth and easy to turn, but won't necessarily freewheel if you know what I mean. With the battery recharged the car should start. See if the load indicator light comes on. If it does the alternator is faulty. Check the battery voltage with the car running. It should be about 14.7V if the alternator is charging. If it is less than that, the alternator is faulty.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
eunosklde
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: smoking alternator

Post by eunosklde »

Thanx man,im doin it today...thanx for the help

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”