will 5 speed transmisson out of a mx-6 work into a V6 MX-3??

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
spidlemx3
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

will 5 speed transmisson out of a mx-6 work into a V6 MX-3??

Post by spidlemx3 »

Hey, the auto transmisson is screwed in my car, i know where theres a junked mx-6 sitting an the motor looks exactly like mine only a few different things like the A/C but i was wondering if that transmisson would work in mine? could it be done??? please reply and let me know.
Newfie_dan

Re: will 5 speed transmisson out of a mx-6 work into a V6 MX

Post by Newfie_dan »

yes it fits, externally they are the same, the only difference is the gearing in the mx-6 trans. The v6 fyi is a direct bolt in as well many people upgrade from the 1.8L v6 to the 2.5L for the extra power.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I was under the impression that a mx6 auto tranny will not work. The reason for this is wiring, apparently the 626/mx6/probe/millenia and klze cars use a seperate ecu for the ATX and the wiring is not the same as the k8 when it comes to the auto tranny. You can also run into a potential axle issue.

If this was a 5 speed swap, then yes, it would work without an issue.

I am not disagreeing with you newfie_dan, just thought it wasnt possible. Perhaps someone else can chime in
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

solo_ryder wrote:I was under the impression that a mx6 auto tranny will not work. The reason for this is wiring, apparently the 626/mx6/probe/millenia and klze cars use a seperate ecu for the ATX and the wiring is not the same as the k8 when it comes to the auto tranny. You can also run into a potential axle issue.

If this was a 5 speed swap, then yes, it would work without an issue.

I am not disagreeing with you newfie_dan, just thought it wasnt possible. Perhaps someone else can chime in
Mx-3 has a separate auto-tranny computer as well
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
spidlemx3

Post by spidlemx3 »

so if it does work, wat else would i have to take off the mx6 to make the 5 speed tranny work in my car?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well if you wanted to do a 5 speed swap you'd need to get your parts from a mx3. The tranny you can use from a mx6 If you want. There are some guides you can look up for the conversion. If you are able to do it I'd say its worth the swap as the 5 speeds are a lot better then the weak autos
spidlemx3

Post by spidlemx3 »

alright, iv been looking for a v6 mx3 5 speed around everywheres an there impossible to find, so the mx6 tranny should just slide in?, anything id have to hook up?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You need MX-3 driver's side MTX axle. You can use the MX-3 ATX passenger side (1mm difference)

You need MX-3 rear mount for sure, and MX-3 side mounts for sure. You can use Mx-6 front mount but need to drill out the holes in your crossmember a little larger.

The MX-6 trans bolts right in/on otherwise. You can use either flywheel and either clutch in any combination, but MX-3 flywheel and MX-6 clutch is the popular combination, weight and strength.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
spidlemx3

Post by spidlemx3 »

Thank you for the info everyone, im going to look at a junked 5 speed mx6 that still runs, hopefully ganna get it cheap, i can see a fun project coming
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You also need the pedal assembly, the clustch master cylinder, the clutch slave cylinder, and all the lines.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

And one more thing. Lots of free time.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Let's not forget patience!

You'll have an advatage of a better final drive gear with the mx6 tranny (should you ever choose to swap to a 2.5L :))

Make sure when you get the rear tranny mount that you get the bracket that bolts to the tranny also. The auto bracket is too narrow. The tranny mount that attaches to the top of the tranny and the DS of the car is needed from an mx3 also (the bracket is harder to find than the mount- an mx6 bracket wont work IIRC).

You'll also need an mx3 intermediate shaft from a 5 spd. The automatic has a smaller spline count and is too small for the 5spd. If possible, get the correct bolt pattern (2 or 3 bolt).
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
spidlemx3

Post by spidlemx3 »

mazdags94 wrote:Let's not forget patience!

You'll have an advatage of a better final drive gear with the mx6 tranny (should you ever choose to swap to a 2.5L :))

Make sure when you get the rear tranny mount that you get the bracket that bolts to the tranny also. The auto bracket is too narrow. The tranny mount that attaches to the top of the tranny and the DS of the car is needed from an mx3 also (the bracket is harder to find than the mount- an mx6 bracket wont work IIRC).

You'll also need an mx3 intermediate shaft from a 5 spd. The automatic has a smaller spline count and is too small for the 5spd. If possible, get the correct bolt pattern (2 or 3 bolt).

what do u mean by :
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The inner CV joint on the auto trans has a different number of splines than that of a 5speed intermediate shaft and the shaft is shorter. So make sure you get the intermediate shaft for an MX-3 5 speed tranny as you will not be able to use your auto one. There are 2 styles of bracket, 2 or 3 bolt. Check which one you currently have and try to get one with the same bracket.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
spidlemx3

Post by spidlemx3 »

but im putting a mx6 5 speed transmisson in it? an the car is auto now:S im confused

Return to “Transmissions”