charcoal canister, wtf is that?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
johnmx3ze

charcoal canister, wtf is that?

Post by johnmx3ze »

hey guys i was looking to install my catch can that ive had for 4 months now...

i was wondering if i could delete the charcoak canister?

what does this thing do?
if i can delete it, how?
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mazdags94

Re: charcoal canister, wtf is that?

Post by mazdags94 »

I think it acts as a filter of some sort since it runs off of the egr vaccuum lines. Mine wasn't used when I deleted my egr system so I would imagine you could just ditch it. I dont remember it having an electrical harness or anything to throw a code...
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

It is part of the emissions system. It collects fuel vapours from the fuel tank, allowing them into the manifold to help with emissions and the A/F ratio. It actually only functions when you're cruising in gear.

You could remove it, I'm not sure how much of an impact it would have. You'd throw a code for sure. You could just remove everything related and attached to it in the bay and cap them off. I'd cap the fuel line with a cap and hose clamp though, there can get to be quite a bit of pressure in the tank.

components (next few pages) -> http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... F2-129.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I suppose if you wanted to see how it would act, just unplug the purge solenoid for a few weeks and drive like that.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

Ok, just a little comment: the charcoal canister is a part of the EVAP system, not the EGR. You don't need to delete it when you delete the EGR.
The charcoal canister is there to filter vapors from the gas tank, and route them into the intake, to avoid any potentially dangerous pressure buildup inside the tank.
I wouldn't remove it, as it's probably the only component of the emissions system that doesn't hinder performance, and actually helps fuel economy.
On the other hand, removing it could cause you to not pass emissions.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
johnmx3ze

Post by johnmx3ze »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:Ok, just a little comment: the charcoal canister is a part of the EVAP system, not the EGR. You don't need to delete it when you delete the EGR.
The charcoal canister is there to filter vapors from the gas tank, and route them into the intake, to avoid any potentially dangerous pressure buildup inside the tank.
I wouldn't remove it, as it's probably the only component of the emissions system that doesn't hinder performance, and actually helps fuel economy.
On the other hand, removing it could cause you to not pass emissions.
im really not woried about emission, i have a megasquirt, and im no worried about the codes either...

all i want is a place to mount my catch can...
mx-3, KL turbo (tooo much to list) yeah its boosted!
worklog====> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=67582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cardomain==> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869504/1 ... awks-on-ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

johnmx3ze wrote:
im really not woried about emission, i have a megasquirt, and im no worried about the codes either...

all i want is a place to mount my catch can...
Emissions are not only about passing a test. They're about polluting the air you and your family breathe.
For what I can see in the pics in your worklog, you have plenty of room to install the catch can, either by relocating your MSD box, or in the passenger side of the engine compartment, where the power steering reservoir is. Not to mention the fact that you should look to install the catch can in a COOL place, so it can be more efficient at condensing vapors, and the charcoal canister is in a cramped, fairly hot place.
Obviously, it's ultimately your decision, but, IMHO, deleting the charcoal canister is a bad idea. Then again, looks like you have already done the install...am I wrong?
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote: Emissions are not only about passing a test. They're about polluting the air you and your family breathe.

What he said.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Just to throw another bit into this drama,

a drop in the bucket.

You think a thing like a deleted emissions component even registers on the scale they use to measure things like forgeries?

Regardless, you could re-position the charcoal canister lower. there's space around the PS lines and the condenser... drain?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”