a/c kills car

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
JCS

a/c kills car

Post by JCS »

'93 1.6, 5spd, 195k. When I'm sitting at idle with a/c running, the car often dies when the a/c cycles. Rpm's just drop and it dies. Any ideas where to start?
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: a/c kills car

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ac puts load on the engine... if you engine has little power, expect this to happen. Can try a basic tune up.. maybe replacing the grounds. Other than that, fairly normal. My B6 had some stumble at idle, and that was with 50,000 Kms. I just started turning off the AC at lights.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

maybe try the 90 amp alternator from the v6. when I upgraded mine it seemed to help some with the overload.

jason
Kakarot 135
JCS

Post by JCS »

Ok, thanks for the info and suggestion.
czwan

Post by czwan »

I've gone without A/C for the past couple of years. Finally spent the money on getting it fixed earlier this summer, and really enjoyed having cold A/C in the insanely hot months.

I definitely notice the load it puts on the engine, and have been turning it down to 1, or even all the way off, when going up a hill, or at a stop. Seems to help.

Another thing I've always noticed is, it seems to take a load off the engine if I put it in Neutral when at a stoplight. I've gotten into the habit of doing this. Hopefully it doesn't hurt anything--I don't know much about cars.
czwan

Post by czwan »

Hmmmm, I just did a quick search, and some say putting it in neutral at stoplights puts a lot of wear on the automatic transmission. Yikes.
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

i have the same issues from above...a/c in gear (auto 92) drops idle to near stalling and when pressing on the brake (even if a/c is off) drops idle to near stalling and yet again (not braking or a/c on) when im in reverse brings it down to near stalling...All three mentioned above makes the idle bounce!!!
Ive been putting my car in neutral for years now cause of my idle issues and in my case i haven't noticed any slipping or noticeable tranny issues...
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
mok86

Post by mok86 »

yea my car used to do the same... i'd have to turn off AC during stop and go...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I've been shifting into neutral all my life with autos and manuals left in neutral saves the throw out bearing. I've never had an auto trany issue and my Dad who drove for 60 years did the same never had a trany issue either. How can shifting into neutral harm anything, besides the engine will run cooler as well. As far as A/C goes my MX3 and MX6 both have raised idle when A/C is on.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”