Repeated Wheel hub assembly failure

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Braver
antispam: No

Repeated Wheel hub assembly failure

Post by Braver »

Hey there,
A month ago I had my wheel hub assembly (bearing and hub) replaced by a mechanic, and the constant whirring/thudding of the stupid assembly was gone (I could actually talk to people without shouting in my car)
But about a couple of days ago the same sound is back from the same front drivers side
Could there be something else thats wearing out the assembly? Was the assembly maybe put on on wrong?
Thanks for any help
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Repeated Wheel hub assembly failure

Post by Daninski »

Have the mechanic check that the wheel nut is tight. The job should of been warrantied for 12 months
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If he reaplced the bearing and hub properly it should last another good long time (like 5-10 years). I would take it back and have them fix the mistake (for free).
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Braver

Post by Braver »

got it replaced, hopefully it was just a bad bearing, but as the car had a driver side impact half a year ago, he said it could be the spline that holds it all in place if the bearing fails again, hopefully not
thanks, guess we'll c
DeadMaker

Post by DeadMaker »

Just don't forget to make an alignment.After replacing the bearing you will need it again if you have done already..
Black Mazda Mx3 Rs 1997 B6DE
Braver

Post by Braver »

Yea, except since the accident about 6 months ago I asked my mechanic if i should get it, he said it likely won't help because somethings probably bent maybe the axle, straight on the steering wheel is about 30 degrees off
Braver

Post by Braver »

okaaay
so since yesterday the sound is back again,
i've already replaced the wheel bearing 3 times, and the hub assembly once (the 2nd time i replaced the bearing) and now the wheel bearing is failing again for the 4th time
so now what do i check/replace?
is it the knuckle that holds it all together?
EggyRollz
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by EggyRollz »

Always replace with new parts when there is an accident. New parts will give you an indication if things will line up or not. Also , I would replace the knuckle- It may be out of line somewhere and causing premature failure of wheel bearings. G/L.
94 Tahoe Sport SS - 454 =)
93 3KGT VR4 - K&N Filter.Proxes 4 Tires. Drilled/Slotted Rotors.
97 Tahoe - Grill gaurd.Oversized Tires.Custom liners.Bored & matched pistons.E-cam.Leather.Remote start.TCC upgrade.+Sunshell.10K tow package.Knifed TB.Flowtech Huggers.Straight pipes.Hypertech chip.B&M Trans Controller, Front diff & T-case plates.
Feedback-viewtopic.php?f=37&t=74259
For Sale-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74832
Braver

Post by Braver »

where do i go about finding a knuckle?
Should i try a parts source or would i only get it at a dealership or something
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The steering knuckle is cast iron. They don't bend they break.

If your steering wheel is 30 degrees off center there is definitely an alignment problem and the bearing will continue to fail no matter howmany times you replace it. If your mechanic says that something is bent and it cannot be properly aligned you need to a)replace the pieces that are bent (control arm, shock, tie rods, tie rod ends, ball joints can all have this affect and are easily replaced) and b) get a new mechanic because the one that told you that an alignment won't do any good is a moron. Any self respecting mechanic would have figured out what is bent and replaced it and then got your wheels aligned.

Also, the wheel being 30 degrees off is a result of the Toe adjustment. This is really really to diagnose...so he's an even bigger moron.

Also, a bent axle would usually not affect the alignment...so he's a really really big moron.

I could fix your problem in my driveway with junkyard parts and a tape measure.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”