Need some help with my transmission

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
martin90
antispam: No

Need some help with my transmission

Post by martin90 »

Hey!

I've currently got the 1.8L V6 engine with 136hp in my mx3, but I'm gonna do an engine swap to the larger KLZE motor and I'm wondering if I could keep my current transmission?

Cheers!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: Need some help with my transmission

Post by MrMazda92 »

Hello Martin, do you have a 5 speed or an automatic?

For the 5 speed, the short answer would be yes. It all depends on what you intend to do though!

For the automatic, the short answer would likely be no. The good news, is while you have the tranny/engine pulled, you can swap it for a 5 speed! =)

What will the primary use of the car be? Daily driver? Drag racing? Autocross?

Back to the stock 5 speed tranny... It tops out at a little over 150 MPH due to the gearing.

If you aren't planning to drive at or above 130 MPH regularly, the stock Tranny should be just fine.

You WILL need to upgrade your clutch, unless you'd like to replace it every 3 months.

You should be able to find everything I just mentioned by using the Search feature at the top of the page.

Good luck, and I hope it works out for you!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
martin90

Post by martin90 »

That cleared out a great deal! Thanks for the tip on clutch btw ;)
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

martin90 wrote:That cleared out a great deal! Thanks for the tip on clutch btw ;)
No problem! =) If you're looking for a good affordable clutch, you can search around for people's favorites on here. I can't remember the name, but there is one in particular which is pretty much a staple around here.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I just wanted to add that he can keep the automatic if he has it, if the trans is shifting fine then just do a good fluid/filter change and upgrade the trans cooler, the auto trans on the klde is the same as the k8, if you really want to get the most out of the trans also add an inline filter kit.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Newfie_dan wrote:I just wanted to add that he can keep the automatic if he has it, if the trans is shifting fine then just do a good fluid/filter change and upgrade the trans cooler, the auto trans on the klde is the same as the k8, if you really want to get the most out of the trans also add an inline filter kit.
Good addition Dan, I noticed you posted something to that effect somewhere else the other day(I can't remember where!), but I was intrigued. My girlfriend loves my Mx3, and is begging for a Raspberry SE haha. I'm teaching her stick but I would like to have an auto Mx3 to drive as well, she feels more comfortable with it since she's scared of shifting manually. Would upgrading the trans. cooler extend the lifetime of the auto trans noticeably? Thanks!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I would not recommend using the automatic tranny with the klze... I don't know of anyone who uses one...

Also I've been running a stock replacement clutch (Exedy) with my klze for years with no problems.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

running a auto on a klze would not really be good as mooneggs mentioned as the friction discs are not designed to hold that kind of power whereas a 5 spd will with the right clutch, if you could get your hands on some beefed up frictions discs though you can easily run well over 200 hp on an auto. Upgrading the cooler will add a lot of life to the auto however couple that with an inline filter assembly and you can easily triple the life of one. Just a cooler will damn near double the life of the auto, it was the single biggest downfall of the auto trans in the mx3, mx6 and probe gt. I rebuilt an auto for a friend on his probe gt about 5 years ago and he runs it pretty hard, since that rebuild he has put about 160,000 kms on it he changes the fluid and remote filter every 50,000 kms and it still runs like new. I added an upgraded cooler and an inline filter that filters the oil to 10 microns. Now thats a little overkill for the filter but it does a damn good job of cleaning the oil. The 2 biggest killers or auto trans are heat and contamination in the oil from insufficient filter/fluid changes.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

@Mooneggs
If that was directed towards me, I should have clarified. :P
If/When I buy another Mx3, and it's an SE like my girlfriend wants... then I would keep the stock engine in it, unless it needs replacing of course. If I'm swapping one in, might as well move up. ;)
How much did you clutch cost? Thx for the tip.

@Newfie_dan
I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

How often would be smart to change the fluid in my 5 speed? Just wondering. I have a new transmission as of about 8k miles ago, and it was changed then. Just wondering for future!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I usually do mine every 70,000 kms or so depending on how hard I drive it.
martin90

Post by martin90 »

Thanks for the help guys.
But btw, do you guys have a tip on wich clutch I could use? Preferably not to expencive, but if it have to cost a bit I'm willing to cough it up :wink:
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

act clutches work pretty decent I have a stage 2 clutch for my swap when I get around to it, picked it up new for $50.00 on clearance at my local speed shop that closed down.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Thanks Dan!
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:

Return to “Transmissions”