weird issue

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
money_greenmx3
antispam: No

weird issue

Post by money_greenmx3 »

Hey I was driving a bit around today and I noticed that when to start my car in gear I do not have to press the acceleration I onlydespress the clutch gently and it starts tomoved and will never stall unless I brake. It does this in all gears. Is there any potential damage that can happen over time? Would it be safe to drive. In 1st gear when 2000rpm is reached the car bogs and the rpm goes up and down repeatedly, in other gears it does not do that. I will do a compression test to find out but I would think I need a new distributor, do you guys think this is worth fixing or just scrap the car if the compression is off by a lot.
Thanks for your input.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: weird issue

Post by Ryan »

your car sounds perfectly normal?

you can start rolling just by letting off the clutch? totall normal.

probably not a good idea to burn your clutch so much though. you want 1st to grab decently, but not whiplash, and every other gear the shift should be smooth, no whiplash at all.

don't start your car rolling from a stop in any other gear but 1st. Even in snow they say start in 2nd, but I think thats a load of bull.

The car acts funny in 1st gear if you feather the throttle at all. Its because of the imperfections in the transmission tolerences that you see a bit of backlash as it bounces between power and braking from the motor.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
TMeadows

Post by TMeadows »

money_greenmx3 wrote:Hey I was driving a bit around today and I noticed that when to start my car in gear I do not have to press the acceleration I onlydespress the clutch gently and it starts tomoved and will never stall unless I brake. It does this in all gears. Is there any potential damage that can happen over time? Would it be safe to drive. In 1st gear when 2000rpm is reached the car bogs and the rpm goes up and down repeatedly, in other gears it does not do that. I will do a compression test to find out but I would think I need a new distributor, do you guys think this is worth fixing or just scrap the car if the compression is off by a lot.
Thanks for your input.
Give us some more detail on your car. What engine, upgrades etc. This would aid us in giving you technical advice.
money_greenmx3

Post by money_greenmx3 »

The car is totally stock just bought it a month ago changed the disty cap rotor, did timing, new plugs, new air filter, new fuel filter, new oil and coolant seafoamed everything cleaned tb and intake it seems to be running fine but every time I press the acceleration no matter how gently I try to press it I always feel a whiplash especially in 1st and 2nd gear 3rd is very slightly and 4 and 5 could barley feel whiplash. The whiplash is felt most when the engine gets to normal running temperature. If I keep it in 1st gear a little above 2000 rpm the rpm will go up and down quickly without me moving the acceleration and tires will do a little skidding, this is when the most whiplash is felt. I avoid this by shifting to second gear before 2000 rpm but Im sure this is a pretty big issue, I think one cylinder is not running properly could be the distributor but I do not want to buy a new one and still have the same problem. What do you guys think? Could it be a transmission issue and is it worth fixing also how do I keep from not burning my clutch so much?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I still don't understand the issue, it just sounds like you suck at driving 5 speed to me.

video, maybe?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

I still don't understand the issue, it just sounds like you suck at driving 5 speed to me.
HAHA
If I keep it in 1st gear a little above 2000 rpm the rpm will go up and down quickly without me moving the acceleration and tires will do a little skidding, this is when the most whiplash is felt
sounds like your not giving it enough gas for the speed your doing. you need to be very precise on the throttle to go from accelerating to cruising/decellerating in 1st. 1st/2nd are mainly for accelerating you dont really want to coast in these gears unless your in traffic. even then coast in 2nd, if you need to move slowly bump the gas in first then push the clutch in while your rolling.

:arrow:
The car acts funny in 1st gear if you feather the throttle at all. Its because of the imperfections in the transmission tolerences that you see a bit of backlash as it bounces between power and braking from the motor.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

money_greenmx3 wrote:The car is totally stock just bought it a month ago changed the disty cap rotor, did timing, new plugs, new air filter, new fuel filter, new oil and coolant seafoamed everything cleaned tb and intake it seems to be running fine but every time I press the acceleration no matter how gently I try to press it I always feel a whiplash especially in 1st and 2nd gear 3rd is very slightly and 4 and 5 could barley feel whiplash. The whiplash is felt most when the engine gets to normal running temperature. If I keep it in 1st gear a little above 2000 rpm the rpm will go up and down quickly without me moving the acceleration and tires will do a little skidding, this is when the most whiplash is felt. I avoid this by shifting to second gear before 2000 rpm but Im sure this is a pretty big issue, I think one cylinder is not running properly could be the distributor but I do not want to buy a new one and still have the same problem. What do you guys think? Could it be a transmission issue and is it worth fixing also how do I keep from not burning my clutch so much?
Ummm... your car is normal bud. If you feel like throwing money away, I just moved into a new place, so I'm accepting donations.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”