egr problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mikeinaus
antispam: No

egr problems

Post by mikeinaus »

so i just got aircared and failed horribly. im running a stock k8 that has like 150k on it. entire cat-back has been replaced recently. after the testing my cel was on and throwing codes 16 and 25. 16 comes on very rarely, maybe once a month but 25 has never came on. so egr is probably the main reason, but whats up with this fuel pressure regulator?
my scores were

hydrocarbons i scored .8047 with max allowed .5
carbon monoxide i got 3.3193 with max allowed 9.32
oxides of nitrogen 2.4861 with max allowed 1.24

is there an easy way to get this passed? my insurance just expired and they wont let me re-insure until i pass. im thinking of just telling them i threw in a ze with no egr and to test it as a hotrod?

scroll down
Last edited by mikeinaus on May 26th, 2010, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpatialTerror

Re: failed aircare

Post by SpatialTerror »

well you could try that. do you know the max limits for a hotrod?
umm mabye try seafoaming ur car. and runnin inector cleaner. and also get some other cleaner to put in with the oil to clean all the gunk out.
make the motor like-new. sometimes they run like new.
a buddy of mine got a bmw 525 with a bad baljoint that wouldnt run. we seafoamed it. ran injector cleaner though it and. some product he got for the oil. (3 oil changes in 25 miles.)
and we got it running first day with just that with the cel on.
after the 3rd oil change it was off.
now that i think about it though. ur car might be in protect or somthing.
is it running like crap?
and ur fuel pressure regulator is a ez replace
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

well i just ripped out my egr and cleaned it. that has to be in the most retarded place ever. its almost impossible to get off.

i seafoamed it about a month ago and i ran injector cleaning when i swapped the motor in november. o2 sensors are new. it runs pretty decent. there is a bit of hesitation at 3000-4000rpm but before and above that are golden. it will also randomly idle high when its warmed up (thinking this is because of egr?). normally it idles around 600 but it will go as high as 1500-2000. im pretty sure i dont have any vacuum leaks. im gonna try it again with the egr cleaned and hopefully it will pass. if not im pulling the "i have an import motor with no egr test it as a hot rod"
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

should the egr hold a vacuum? with the car off if i suck on the vacuum hose coming off the egr it will make suction but it doesnt hold for very long. does this mean the valve is stuck open? if i suck hard enough i can hear a clicking noise from the egr. i assume this means its opening?

just tried hooking the egr hose up to a vacuum sorce and it causes my engine to bog and sputter. i guess this means its working now? or i have a problem with the sensor that tells the ecu if its open or close?
Last edited by mikeinaus on May 26th, 2010, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeinaus

Re: egr problems

Post by mikeinaus »

i cant read vacuum diagrams for s--- and i have no idea if mine is correct or not (im guessing not). i couldnt understand the k8 diagram in the online manual so i used this one which is for a klde but i figured they would be pretty much the same? http://kypo.org/storage/vac_hoses.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i took my egr off the car and cleaned it out put it back together and checked the vacuum diagram to see if i had it hooked up right. i originally had the egr hose going into the solenoid vacuum valve then the solenoid vent going into the throttlebody. could this have caused the egr to not work and fail my aircare?
i put it the way its supposed to be but i found a broken nipple on the back (passenger side) of the egr solenoid vacuum(i think this is right). which looks like its supposed to be hooked into the vris solenoid valves. from what i can tell this is the only open part i have to the vacuum system, all my hoses have been hooked up in one way or another. is this bad enough to fail aircare? should i just plug it until i can get a new egr vacuum?Image
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

so i failed a second time. i even told them i had an import ze with no egr and they refused to test it as anything other then stock. telling me "bigger motors are more efficient and make less emissions". which explains why they had a retarded look on there face when i asked if a hummer makes less emissions then a civic.

with a cleaned egr and no cel codes i cant afford to keep insuring this 1 day at a time and hope to pass. or to take it to a shop and have them "try" a bunch of different things for a retarded ammount of money. i think im going to have to just sell the car :crying: . its no use to me sitting in my driveway.
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

I think selling it is a bit extreme, and I'm surprised nobody has responded to your post that has more knowledge. Did you try seafoaming the car or running fuel injector cleaner through the system? Those are alot cheaper than letting Bubba at the corner mechanic shop try alot of different stuff for a whole lotta money. Another thing to consider changing is the fuel filter, not only may that help but it'll smooth out your idle as well; they were $5-6 for the 4cyl model, not sure how much for the V6.

I'd help more but I'm kind of a computer guy, not a car guy so much. I know a little more than the basics, but I have no clue what a egr is or what it stands for. The only reason I'm in the V6 area is because I'm considering getting a V6 MX-3 with a KLDE in it :shrug:
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

fuel filter was replaced almost a year ago. fuel pump/screen were replaced not too long ago. seafoamed about a month ago. o2 sensors were replaced a month and a half ago. injector cleaner was run threw in december. im thinking the sensor on the egr or the egr itself is the problem. but its hard to figure out because it vare rarely sends the cel code. nor has it sent it since i cleaned it out. the thing is i cant afford $27 for a day permit and $35 for e-test everytime i try something that "may work". it does suck but i think its my only option right now.

"fixing" things and trying to pass with no guarantee is prettymuch throwing money in the garbage at this point.

theres a 1987 323 with 89,000kms for $400 on cl here and its passed aircare until 2011 i think im going to grab. when i sell my car i can put that money towards my school in september. being carless is unbearable :crying:

i can always buy a new mx3 when im done school and start over.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”