project ze-t is almost finished, need a little help though

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mx3stylez

project ze-t is almost finished, need a little help though

Post by mx3stylez »

well, its been a long project, and i am down to the last bit before i fire the car up. i have a few questions on things i have been stuck on and have not been able to find specific answers to. the car have gone through a major electrical overhaul with ms2.
1) the ignition: i have msd 6a, blaster 3 and tach adapter, hei on hand (if needed) and modded stock distributer(6 point, not ze) do i have to gut the distibuters stock coil but still tap the into the middle wire of the 3 pin plug to the distibuter to get the tach signal? do i have to set up the hei for this to work, or is all the msd gear going to take care of the igniter problems?
2) i have a gm coolant temp sensor and pigtail, not installed yet. do i need this one or is the stock one just as good?
3) gm air intake temp sensor: the one i got from napa is all plastic and seems to need to push into a rubber bung. should this be placed just ahead of the throttlebody? if it is just a push in sensor, how well will it seal once there is lots of boost being pushed passed it? i would think it mught be forced out of its hole
4)oil catch can: from all the reading ive done on this on this forum, all i can find is that it is suppossed to get its positive air pressure from the intake pre turbo, so it sucks the oil vapors from the top end, not from the pcv, but from the hose coming from the front valve cover, and from the back valve cover. but i was thinking that if i did that,the turbo would be sucking alot of pressure from the valve covers, is this safe?
5) and finally i bought a gm 3 bar map sensor with the pigtail, does anyone know how to hook these up? there is a vacuum, and then the electrical points are A C and B.
klze swap, wisco 8.5 comp pistons, pauter rods, act stage 3 clutch, lightened flywheel, UR racing pulley, flex-o-lite oil cooler, 2.5" custom exhaust with high flow cat, B&M short throw shifter, S&R cross drilled rotors, , B&G lowering springs, maxxim 17" gun metal rims, modded nissan injectors, walbro 255 lph fuel pump, areomotive afpr, msd 6a , magasquirt v3, and turboed
hppwdn

Re: project ze-t is almost finished, need a little help thou

Post by hppwdn »

I'll help where I can. My first question for you is: Is your car already running on MS? My answers are below numbered like your questions.

Question 1) I haven't had a disty in a long time but I know there's a few diagrams floating around Probetalk of how to install an MSD.

Question 2) Your MS should be reading your stock sensor already.

Question 3) I would return that sensor and get part # Wells SU107. It's a metal bodied IAT instead of the plastic one. The Wells part# will also cross to a GP Sorensen part# depending what store you're at.

Question 4) I vent my PCV to atmoshpere. There's some good info on Probetalk from Shaodome when he attempted to make a properly functioning PCV system on his turbo mx6.

Question 5) You don't need a 3 Bar map sensor unless you're running past the 20psi range. I regular run 14+psi on a standard map sensor the MS kit comes with.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

i have not had this car running on ms yet. the last time it ran was summer of 2008 after i did the engine build. then i tore it all apart, made the wires longer to run them through the frame and started to add all the goodies. i guess it might have been easier to put one peice on at a time and get each one functioning at a time, but this is where i am at now. i am pretty confident i have all of it together properly, but these are the last few things to do before i fire it up. I will return the ait sensor for the one you suggested. i will check probetalk for further info on the msd. and i am planning on attempting over 20 psi for dyno curiosity and possibly the track. i am pretty sure i built the engine to handle that amount. so if anyone has info on the map sensor or any more input on these questions, that would be awesome
klze swap, wisco 8.5 comp pistons, pauter rods, act stage 3 clutch, lightened flywheel, UR racing pulley, flex-o-lite oil cooler, 2.5" custom exhaust with high flow cat, B&M short throw shifter, S&R cross drilled rotors, , B&G lowering springs, maxxim 17" gun metal rims, modded nissan injectors, walbro 255 lph fuel pump, areomotive afpr, msd 6a , magasquirt v3, and turboed
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Well, if you're running enough boost to need a larger map sensor these links will be helpful to you.
http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mwire.htm#map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/3bar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for 20+psi when I had my motor with pauter rods and wiseco 8.5 pistons it handled 20psi with no problem. Traction at the track was a lost cause. I've got a much better setup now and could probably hook up on 20psi but on the junkyard motors I've been running with tiny 370cc injectors anywhere past 14psi is pretty risky.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

thanks, i did find those links before. they are a good read. i have 550 nissan injectors waiting to go in after i get the car running with the ze injectors. as for traction, i got in the group buy for the traction bars and bought myself a quaiffe. :D those are not installed yet, building a tranny that can handle it is next winters project after i get the engine broken in
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

btw hppwdn, i checked out your car, very nice and clean job man
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Thanks for the compliments on the car.

Your project seems to look very promising as well.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

u have not had the car runnig yet? are the the internals i sold you years ago? :O i didnt think u were still around LOL
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mx3stylez

Post by mx3stylez »

yeah, crazy hey?!! after i got the internals from you, i built the engine, sent the car to the body shop, it was there for about 5 months, got it back and waited forever for that turbo kit group buy way back when. then sent the car to one shop to try to get it running, they screwed around with it for 13 months and gave up, took it to another place for 9 months, they got it running, but just barely. then summer 2008 i moved to edmonton, towed it out here and tore the car all apart to start again, this time i am doing all the work. its been a very long project that has been very paitience testing to say the least. but it is thankfully almost done. i can't wait to take it for a rip!! :D last time the car was on the road was 2005 lol

Return to “Forced Induction”