dirt oval mx3

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
newelly
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

dirt oval mx3

Post by newelly »

hello, i am new to the fwd cars and am setting up for a 3/8 mile. i have read the thread by circletrack and have applied numerous ideas from there. new exhaust piping from manifold (plan on comming thru floor and out the door) blocked egr. getting rear swaybar and front springs from the gs tommorrow. should i get the rear springs too?? i am planning on lengthening the frt. left sway bar link, its about 2 1/2 in. long. to 5 in. or so to get some weight there. good thing ? bad thing? same with the right rear. i read about the miata cam swap. is it really easy as exhaust on intake,intake on exhaust and flip the distr. 180* then time it ? if so could you tell me what specific car i can get the cams from....this car is about 80% done and pratice day is april 3rd .the car is a '94 mx3 rs i will post some pics soon. thanks, newelly :?
newelly

Re: dirt oval mx3

Post by newelly »

i have another question........since fwd' s push in the corners ...would pinching off the right front brake line to pull the car to the left ? anyone use the pham grip? wonder if it would hold up under this type of racing ? i have seen alot of cars handle real good and tryin to get a good set up.......
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Just weld the dif.

Can't parallel park anymore.. but its dirt.

Rear GS and RS springs are exactly the same, I think. No reason why they wouldn't be.

You're confused on the cam swap thing. Disty upside down is never a good idea.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Ryan wrote:Just weld the dif.

Can't parallel park anymore.. but its dirt.

Rear GS and RS springs are exactly the same, I think. No reason why they wouldn't be.

You're confused on the cam swap thing. Disty upside down is never a good idea.
Weld the diff?

I'm setting up a '94 MX-3 for short track (2nd gear at most and LOTS of tight corners) rally racing, would this help me as well and, if so, exactly what does it do?

Thanks for any additional info you can provide!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I don't see welding the diff being beneficial, I would see it just cause alot of understeer. That's one of the downfall on the trucks when we use a front locker is that although you increase traction, you lose some steering, so it depends if the traction overweight the added difficulty in turning.

I'm pretty sure RS and GS use different springs.

For dirt track racing, brake proportioning valves are usally against the rules. However I never read anything against using the ebrake, but left-right braking would be a neat idea, but typically you brake before the corner, and if anything, you 'll trailbrake into the corner getting the rear out, which you don't need to adjust the L/R bias to get it to do that and some slight ebrake input would control the rear while powering through the corner.

I
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

Is the track slanted? If so run some stiffer springs to the side, I know my friends run a civic on a dirt track with accord springs to give the one side lift and that helped there times out quite a bit
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”