i have a question

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
TheGame86
antispam: No

i have a question

Post by TheGame86 »

hi my car is a 1992 mx3 automatic my hold signal started blinking is it a problem? how can i fix it thank you
Newfie_dan

Re: i have a question

Post by Newfie_dan »

this should be under transmissions more than electrical just so you know. Here is the skinny on what you need to know;
1) The automatic trans in these cars had very poor factory cooling, hence the high failure rate of these transmissions. Most people swap to a manual trans in the case of an auto trans failure. It can be fixed with an upgraded cooler and recommend an inline filter with it to maximize the life of the trans, if you have any signs of slippage then chances are that its a bit late for that.
2) According to Mazda, it is an indication of an electrical problem in the transmission. Actually, it could also be an indication of bad sensor data reaching the transmission. This light and the Malfunction Indicator ("Check Engine") light are rather closely connected; since this transmission is computer-controlled, you could be getting signals from either. If this is happening to you and you're not up to reading codes, you should probably go to the dealership or to a garage that speaks fluent Mazda and get the codes pulled. The pertinent ones you're most likely to encounter, on a pre OBD II vehicle, are:

06 No signal from vehicle speed sensor
12 Throttle position sensor signal open or shorted
55 No signal from drum speed pulse generator on trans
60 "1-2" or "A" shift solenoid circuit open or shorted
61 "2-3" or "B" shift solenoid circuit open or shorted
62 "3-4" or overrun clutch solenoid circuit open or shorted
63 Lock-up solenoid circuit open or shorted

Get the trans fluid swapped out and new filter put in asap, this may remedy the problem for you if you do not have any signs of slippage.
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

Over 14 million transmission fail every year, 9 out of 10 fail from overheating for very 20° drop in the fluid temperature will double the life of the transmission an auxiliary transmission cooler can reduce fluid temperature by up to 60°. So do the math, its worth it if the trans is in good shape to start with. I have done this on 3 mx-3 automatics to date and 6 probes with the cd4e trans, all have had no problems afterward. Change the trans oil or atf every 50,000 kms to maximize the life or if your in a lot of stop and go traffic every 40,000 to get the most out of it.
TheGame86

Post by TheGame86 »

the strange thing is that my speed thing out of no where stopped working and after that the hold signal started blinking
TheGame86

Post by TheGame86 »

i meant my speedmeter
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

TheGame86 wrote:the strange thing is that my speed thing out of no where stopped working and after that the hold signal started blinking
Wow... I'm glad you corrected yourself there..
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

if the speedo singal stopped then its your vss at fault or the cable to the speedometer, check that and see if its still intact.
SpatialTerror

Post by SpatialTerror »

seems like a very simple fix to what could be a very big problem.
i noticed i had a hold light on my gsze manual.
it hasnt came on.
just wondering if it could come on
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

not unless there is a problem, the hold light only comes on in certain circumstances. It would not hurt to check the bulb but stay on top of the fluid/filter changes and if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic so what I recommended many times before, an aftermarket cooler and external filter. Read this thread for specifics on it;
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65829
TheGame86

Post by TheGame86 »

ver 14 million transmission fail every year, 9 out of 10 fail from overheating for very 20° drop in the fluid temperature will double the life of the transmission an auxiliary transmission cooler can reduce fluid temperature by up to 60°. So do the math, its worth it if the trans is in good shape to start with. I have done this on 3 mx-3 automatics to date and 6 probes with the cd4e trans, all have had no problems afterward. Change the trans oil or atf every 50,000 kms to maximize the life or if your in a lot of stop and go traffic every 40,000 to get the most out of it.

does every tranny cooler fit the mx-3 or there is a especific one thanks
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

pretty much any cooler will fit, if you are in a lot of stop and go traffic I would recommend getting a heavier one with a good number of cooling fins, I have also added a temp sensor that triggers a fan for my buddies mx-3 but he has a lead foot and drived it hard. There are lots of kits out there in the aftermarket that have good coolers and the filters, follow the instructions for install and you should not have any problems they are very simple to install.
TheGame86

Post by TheGame86 »

another question for you my friend has a same mazda mx3 is a 1992 auto 4 cylinders he wants to buy a tranny for the car but over here in puerto rico they don't sell new mx3 tranny so what kind of tranny can he use can he use another tranny from another car what kind of car? thanks bro
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65792 read this its in the transmission section has all the answers to your questions.
TheGame86

Post by TheGame86 »

ok thanks do you think he should repair it or buy a new one because they told him if he repairs it i'll break easily and fast and it could last a week? thanks bro
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

I would swap to a g series trans, but the best swap for reliability is a 5 spd and dump the automatic. If he rebuilds then make sure that he replaces all the clutch packs with new ones as well as cleans the valve body and then add new atf to the torque converter and the trans. Go with a synthetic atf it will last longer than a natural atf. As a side note I have rebuilt automatics that have held better than new so no he will not break it easily if its done right. Either way though the stronger trans is the g series over his f series.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”