Timing belt gone¿?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Posey24
antispam: No

Timing belt gone¿?

Post by Posey24 »

Hola me again. So my timing belt area was going clickity clack up r
til this mornin. I'm on the interstate 5th gear bout75 mph roughly 3800 rpm then tpm went to zero. No gear would work. Pulled off tried to start itwoukdnt start. Timing belt or clutch. The gears shifted fine up to this so I think it's the belt let me know asap thanx for any and all help
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Timing belt gone¿?

Post by fowljesse »

Yup. Sounds like timing belt. Mine went the same way, but without warning. Just minding my own business at 70mph, and suddenly; nothing. I hope you can do it yourself, and not have to pay $500.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

same thing happened to me... I'm sure if you peek under the timing belt cover there will be belt particles everwhere...
davmac

Post by davmac »

Just a tip: Great write up on timing belt / water pump replacement in the V6 FAQ section here.

I guess I'm assuming you want to do it yourself. Someone reminded me yesterday that the timing belt r&r is a bit more advanced diy. You or the shop should replace the water pump too and at least check the tensioner, idler pulleys, crank and camshaft seals. If you don't know the last time these things were done I'd replace all of it while in there.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”