tb swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ninja_man
antispam: No

tb swap

Post by ninja_man »

i could not get my de intake to fit in my mx3 with the motor so i put the k8 intake on. can i put the de tb on the k8 intake
93 mx-3 with a klde swap. still working on
94 cobra svt. mostly stock.
08 ninja. 1 wheel fun. lol
davmac

Re: tb swap

Post by davmac »

Maybe you already got your answer - I hope so. I’m sure the TB from the de will bolt up and work, but your de intake should definitely fit. I am guessing that 1 of 2 areas of interference are causing you trouble:

1 - The various solenoid control valve and brackets attached to the intake are interfering with the firewall. You'll need to get creative and modify / move these to make it work.

2 - The de throttle body has a 2 part throttle cable linkage (2 circular disks that the cable attaches) that is interfering with the brake booster or brake / clutch fluid reservoir. The easiest solution here is to set your K8 and de throttle bodies side by side. You want to move the throttle cable linkage from your K8 throttle body to your de throttle body. 2 little tricks:
- Hold the return spring with a cable tie so it does not unwind
- You might need to modify the bracket that holds the throttle cable to provide the right amount of slack – none but still allow the throttle plate to move to completely closed position.

If I remember I'll take a post a picture - worth a thousand words.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
mazdags94

Re: tb swap

Post by mazdags94 »

I would say go ahead and put your DE IM back on. What is causing your non-fitment issue?

When you're dropping the engine in, it doesn't look like it will fit at all, until you get the engine attached to the mounts. You just have to squeeze the TB past the brake master cylinder and it'll be just right.

I just did this last summer so it'll be okay. You def wanna use the DE IM because if you put both IM's next to each other, you'll see how big the runners are on the DE compared to the K8.

Plus, if you're using the K8 IM and KL03 or KL07 ecu, the VRIS points will be off.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”