What to do about my MX-3 GS, and trustworthy shops near LA

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Maikeroppi

What to do about my MX-3 GS, and trustworthy shops near LA

Post by Maikeroppi »

Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I'm pretty sure this is the right forum, but please move it if it isn't. Without further adieu though, on with the post.

I live about an hour away from Los Angeles near Thousand Oaks, and I have a Brilliant Black 93 MX-3 GS that I pretty much fell in love with as soon as I saw it. I learned how to drive stick on it, even. I bought it despite it already burning significant amounts of oil, and being sold by a mechanic who heads up a Mazda performance shop, two things that would have set off the "Don't buy!" alarms if I wasn't love struck. Suffice it to say, ever since I've bought it, it began burning even more oil, performing worse, and getting gas mileage under 20mpgs on 93 octane. This ultimately culminated in it failing its biennial smog check (lol, California). I took it to a currently trusted shop for a compression check, and they described one of the cylinders as an open hole. Trying to do the fiscally responsible thing, I attempted to make a clean break; I registered it non-op, and processed a voluntary vehicle retirement, a California program that would give me $1000 USD for a vehicle that fails smog.

Yet, I couldn't bring myself to do it, and now it's been sitting in my apartment car port for just under a year with occasional drives. I think it's a candidate for an engine swap even though it has 154K miles as the body, paint, and interior are actually all in very good condition. I'd love to get a KLZE and actually have some money (probably enough for a down payment on a shiny new car if I wanted), but so far I haven't turned up a shop willing and able to install one for me. So I have a few options, but I'm not sure which one to go:

1) Sell it cheap to someone who will take care of it and move on: maybe the most sensible option, if I weren't so attached to the little guy.
2) Get a regular K8 installed: I got a quote from the trustworthy shop for something like $3k for a used K8, replacing clutch / motor mounts, and labor. They refuse to do anything nonstandard, though, including putting in a KLZE.
3) Install a KLZE: Probably my preferred option if I could find a store to do it, although I'm not sure how much it would cost. Plus, it could be a nightmare to get it smogged.

So at this point I turn to the very knowledgeable audience for some advice. First, if you were me, what would you do? Second, if I were to go the KLZE route, how much would it really cost? Finally, a special bonus question for any people around Los Angeles, how hard is it to smog a KLZE MX-3, and do know of any good shops?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm looking for some guidance, and you guys are the experts. :)
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: What to do about my MX-3 GS, and trustworthy shops near LA

Post by Ryan »

Option 4, seek out a Cali member whose willing to spend a weekend turning wrenches, getting that ZE in, in trade for unlimited beer and maybe some cash. Probably your best option ;)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tripleMX-3chicMS
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by tripleMX-3chicMS »

I did option 2 and have been in hell ever since. So go with what Ryan said...... talk to the other LA CA members and see who wants to have a motor swap party and be happy KEEPING your MX-3.
92 GS automatic (WHITE w/ full on Zebra interior) My Morning DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) My Evening DD
93 GS SE 5 spd manual (RASPBERRY) Working On (pics soon)
93*4 GS SE's for parts ONLY*
Every day is a good day to be a girl.... hehehe
my feedback: http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 50&start=0"
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

My KLZE actually has lower emissions than my K8 did, so you should be fine on the smog test.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

There have been quite a few ppl that haave swapped in ze's and passed smog in cali with mx3s and probes. As long as you keep the egr system intact with good o2 sensors and a good catalytic converter and the correct ecu you should be just fine. To bad you aren't closer I'd give you a hand with the swap..

Anyways motors run from 600-900 usd usually.. You can go with a curve neck motor to save any headaches. That will drop right in. Then you need a ecu and a clutch and a few other bits. All in all you could do the swap for under 1600 usd if you take your time and gather parts before hand.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I assume that you don't have the tools or space to perform the work yourself, but if you have a friend with a garage and a good set of basic hand tools you can do it pretty easily.

I did my swap in a long weekend with hand tools. The only thing I have that the average guy wouldn't is my own engine hoist...and grey hair. but if you do your research and you know all the answers to the important questions before you start you will find that it can be done with minimal difficulty.

Be extremely careful when purchasing the engine. Being in LA, you will likely be able to find one locally so go inspect it. Know what to look for to positively identify it. Get some kind of warrany and make sure the engine has good compression etc. before that warranty expires. If you find an engine in good condition, you may not need to replace things like oil pump, water pump etc. but many do anyway because it will never be as easy as when the engine is out of the car. You should, at a minimum, replace the timing components.

Solo mentioned the clutch...you don't need anything fancy, I use a stock replacement Exedy for the MX-6/Probe which is cheap and works well. In addition, upgraded exhaust is highly recommended. Ebay headers work fine and most people do the rest custom. Those are your big expenses. The rest will be just odds and ends that you'll need. Accessory belts, spark plugs, filters...you will want to do all that trust me.

It's actually a fairly simple swap. I say do your planning and research and go for it.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Another couple of options: Get a KLDE, and have the shop put it in. I suppose they don't want to mess with the electronics :shrug: Or go with what evryone else is saying, and put in a KLDE. That would be the least costly, and you'll have more power. I believe a junkyard DE would cost the same, or less than a K8.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

You'd junk it for $1K? I wouldn't do it. Mx-3's are one of best cars on the road still. With a ze or even a de swap it will last another 200k easily
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Maikeroppi

Post by Maikeroppi »

Thanks for the advice everyone; it's very much appreciated. To be honest, option number 4 never even crossed my mind; thanks Ryan and tripleMX-3chicMS. That sounds like a great idea and I'll be making a post in the West Coast MX-3 owners forum soon, hopefully with some pictures of my car.

wytbishop, yeah, unfortunately, I'm stuck in an apartment with no tools, and everyone I know doesn't have the space for it either. I kept hoping I might be able to move to a place with a garage, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon. I'll see if I can find someone who can loan the space for a weekend. I also have zero experience working with cars, so it would be nice to work with someone who has a bit more experience.

Thanks solo and Bolverk; I'm glad to hear I have a chance of passing smog. That was one point I was really concerned about.

fowljesse, I know, I thought it was weird they wouldn't swap a KLZE since it's pretty straightforward. Probably better to find someone here to help do it anyway.

mitmaks, when I originally tried to do it, I was saving up for my wedding. Money was tight and it seemed like a good idea at the time, but I ultimately couldn't do it. Now I'm glad I didn't.

Thanks again for reviving my dream of KLZE MX-3. I'll start studying up on identifying a KLZE and all the parts I'll need while trying to find somebody in the LA area to help out. If you know of anyone send them my way; plenty of beer / In-N-Out Burger, and some money awaits them. :D
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I say but a klze, remove the IM and get some pheno spacers. tell the guys at the chop that its a k8 and install it as if it was a k8. Or sell it to someone thats not in cali, like me! for cheap. lol
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Maikeroppi

Post by Maikeroppi »

I finally got some pics of my car and did a little bit of research. The thread is located here. If you know of anyone in Southern California, Ventura County, please send them on over!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”