Projector Headlights

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Ghostcloak
antispam: No

Projector Headlights

Post by Ghostcloak »

I've done a search and didn't find what I was looking for. In short, the MX 3 was in a <5mph fender bender earlier with a woman going reverse on an on-ramp. :roll: Damage is very minimal; hood is slightly bent at the corner. My passenger headlight was destroyed and I'm looking to replace it. There aren't any OEM in the local salavage yards. Mazda wants $ALASKA$ for a single replacement. I'm not looking to go HID. What is important to me is making sure the lense won't fade (I can cover with a clear bra to help resist fading and cracking), light dispersion, and fitment. I'm not looking to do any body/bracket modding to get these to fit and aimed properly. I can splice wires if necessary. Halo and LED's mean nothing to me and I won't be hooking those features up, if included.

I'm skeptical of ebay and other "no-name" retailers. Here's what I've found. I'd like your opinions/experiences with these. I've read mixed reviews both on this forum and online concerning fitment and quality. It's been a while since some of you first purchased your projectors, and I thought I'd follow up to see if your opinions/experiences have changed. I'm personally leaning towards the second pair... I believe the first pair is the Spyder Projector headlamps (which a few of you had issues with?) From my understanding, there is the "hot spot" issue with these "cheap" projectors. Any way we can modify the shielding in the projector housing to correct the cuttoff issue? Also, will the dispersion/illumination be acceptable/safe with Sylvania Halogen bulbs?

Thanks in advance...

92-96 MAZDA MX3 BLACK HALO LED PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS
$182 + shipping
http://www.amazon.com/92-96-MAZDA-BLACK ... 711&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mazda MX3 92 93 94 95 96 Halo LED Projector Headlights - Black (Pair) *** Free Shipping ***
$203.40 + Free Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/Mazda-MX3-Halo-Pr ... 334&sr=1-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Projector Headlights

Post by fowljesse »

I did the write-up on the ones in your 2nd picture. Mine still work great. I haven't had a single problem in the year I've used them. The only complaint I could have is that it's very dark above the cut-off, so when I'm going uphill, it's hard to see above/ ahead. I still really like them much more than OEM, and as stated before, they are the only ones DOT certified (The ones in your first pic are not). I'm not experienced at wiring, but it was easy. I used butt connectors (which I found out recently are not as reliable as soldering), and I haven't had a single problem. They fit fine. My passenger's side (I think) has a tiny gap between the fender, and the rubber outer lip of the light, but it looks like the fender is a little far back, because the door gap is smaller than the other side.
If you want OEM replacements, I have a set of perfectly clear ones. One is brand new, and the other is just in new condition. I'm moving soon, so I'm going to put them up for sale, anyway.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Ghostcloak

Post by Ghostcloak »

I just read this in an old thread and thought I'd add it to this one...
Just remember:
The vertical LED headlights have a different shield designed for halogen bulbs.
The horizontal LED ones have the typical "stepped" cutoff line that you see in many HID projector headlights today.
Put HIDs in the Vertical style LED Projectors and you might run the risk of blinding drivers to your right.

It goes hand in hand with what you've just posted.

Keep in touch in regards to your move. I've got to get the car appraised this weekend for damage to see how much money I'm going to get from the Ins. Co. I'm still debating aftermarket vs. OEM and will decide this weekend.

Could you post a recent picture of the fitment issue? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, I've read in multiple threads here that:
vertical leds have fitment problems
So it looks like the 2nd pair is the way to go, if I decide aftermarket.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'll try to remember to tomorrow. If I do, I may just loosen the fender bolts, and move it into place before & after taking the picture.
I won't be moving until the end of March, but I need to sell my extra stuff soon. I also have a set of used, but buffed OEM lights that are almost as clear as the other set.
Personally, I like the look of the 2nd ones better. I wanted to get the vertical ones for my fast car, and use those LEDs for turn signals, but bought another set of the horizontal ones for many reasons.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I got the second ones with the horizontal leds. Look and fit great. I've only had them in for a little more than a month though and I haven't driven with them. :(

I also have a set of the stock headlights, haven't been buffed or polished for a year or so though.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
anjin1982

Post by anjin1982 »

im looking to buy hid headlights too please update if you purchased the 2nd pair ( those seem the better bet)
http://members.cardomain.com/anjin1982
Maintaining my MX-3 in it's natural beauty state...Although i love the modded one's!!!
Tollis
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Tollis »

Sorry for my noooobishness. What's HID stand for
Cody
1993 GSZE SE
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

HID = High Intensity Discharge

Its a type of light that excites a gas in order to produce light. Its not incandescent, like say, a lightbulb with a filament (most normal headlights).

Thats the short answer.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Ghostcloak

Post by Ghostcloak »

Update:

I didn't get the HID's or the projectors. I got a passenger headlamp for $30, and it wasn't fadded/foggy either!
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

get plast-x from walmart and a powerball, those 2 and a lil elbow grease will make any oxidized headlight look almost new.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”