New Dizzy or HEI Mod?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
V6dave
antispam: No

New Dizzy or HEI Mod?

Post by V6dave »

Hi,

I had some problems for the last few months with the car misfiring/hesitating on acceleration, then the car wouldn't start one morning and still won't!

having put a code reader on it it's bringing up code 2 - which I believe is the crank shaft sensor?? but can also be attributed to failed ignition module?

So I am assuming it is the ignition module or coil...which brings me to the question; should I replace the distributor with a new/second hand one or do the HEI mod?

Have you guys used the HEI mod to cure problems such as mine successfully?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: New Dizzy or HEI Mod?

Post by mitmaks »

You just need one of these, replace it and your problem will go away.
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDeta ... 62&PTSet=A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah, I had the saem problems, and did the HEI + external (blaster2) coil. I like it alot. I like having better spark in higher rpm.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
V6dave

Post by V6dave »

Oh yea? You think the crankshaft sensor would cause it to not start at all? Aren't there two of them? One in the distributor and one on the engine? Which one is it?

Thanks =)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

code 2 is for the one on the engine. http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/photo.php?f ... B2-019.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

V6dave wrote:Oh yea? You think the crankshaft sensor would cause it to not start at all? Aren't there two of them? One in the distributor and one on the engine? Which one is it?

Thanks =)
Disty has cam sensor. 92-94
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
V6dave

Post by V6dave »

Ok thanks a lot guys, I'll try replacing the crank sensor and see if it clears up the problems!
V6dave

Post by V6dave »

Ok, so I replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor...still no start!! Grrr!

Turns over fine, its definitely getting fuel too as I can smell it a lot, put new spark plugs in too...any ideas? Possibly Distributor?
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

V6dave wrote:Oh yea? You think the crankshaft sensor would cause it to not start at all? Aren't there two of them? One in the distributor and one on the engine? Which one is it?

Thanks =)
The Crankshaft Position Sensor is on the engine beside the crank and oil dipstick, the Camshaft Position Sensor is inside the disty.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

V6dave wrote:Ok, so I replaced the Crank Shaft Sensor...still no start!! Grrr!

Turns over fine, its definitely getting fuel too as I can smell it a lot, put new spark plugs in too...any ideas? Possibly Distributor?
does it still give you code or CEL went away?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Right now I'm saying I didn't read any of this thread.

I have recently dug pretty deep into our distributors.

In the distributor, at least in 92/93, are these components:

Crank and Cam Angle Sensors.

-Crank angle sensor. It is the G signal on your dist. It sends a single, square wave pulse to the ECM every revolution of the camshaft. The ECM must know the ratio of cam->crank is 2:1.
This sensor can be tested by using a volt meter between the G signal and ground. It should produce one solid wave per cam revolution, around 5v I think.
-Cam shaft sensor. This is the NE1 signal. It sends 6 pulses/cam revolution. THIS IS THE SENSOR THAT CAUSES a NO-START. While cranking, the ECM sends the dizzy spark signal based on this sensor. After it starts, it switches to the crank angle sensor.
This sensor can be tested by using a volt meter between the NE1 signal and ground. It should produce six waves per cam revolution, around 5v I think.

Both of these sensors are called 'hall effect' sensors, and operate by putting a magnet on one side of a gap, and an electronic sensor on the other, and when the fin on the disty passes through the gap, it creates a voltage. If you pull off the cover, you can see these fins.

The Crank angle sensor on the other side of the motor is a performance thing. At high RPM's the ECM uses this as a timing reference to boost the HP. It is NOT CRITICAL.

Primary and Secondary coils.
-The primary coil is tested with pins 1 and 3 on the 3 pin connector. It should be very low, I believe less than 20, even maybe 10 ohms.
-The secondary coil is tested from the tower to pin 3 (closest to radiator in car) and should be around 20kohms.

Ignitor
-The ignitor is a transistor that toggles via the ECM between ground and signal to primary coil. People say it either fails open or closed, but I think this is incorrect. (not sure thought)

The HEI mod replaces this transistor, and does exactly the same function, dispatching the signal from the ECM to the coils.

I don't know where or how the tachometer gets its signal, but its in there too.

As I understand it, if the ignitor fails, the ECM throws the code for the cam angle sensor. I do not know why. All three use transistors, maybe thats why.

If your coils fail, HEI will not fix your problem. If either the crank or cam angle sensors fail, HEI will not fix your problem. External coil fixes coils, nothing fixes the sensors but a new disty.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
V6dave

Post by V6dave »

Hi guys,

Just to update you on this, i changed the distributor and she fired up 1st time! It's also running much better than before...no misfiring/rough accelleration as before. That could be down to having changed the crankshaft sensor too though?

So, thanks to everyone on here who gave me advice, im just so glad she's up and running again!
V6dave

Post by V6dave »

Ok, so having put in a new Disty and it running for one day it has again stopped working!

It started 1st time after putting in the new disty and then again later on that day and i took it for a 30min drive with no problems whatsoever, then i go to start it the next day and no spark again!

What the hell could have happened? Ignition module/coil/camshaft sensor failure? or maybe the ECU?

I have since bought another cheap car to get me around but i need to get my baby back on the road.

Any thoughts guys? thanks in advance.

Dave
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

A couple of easy things to try...

Clean up the ground from the transmission ->frame rail, and on Probes there is a 5 pin ground on the trans too, (5 wires going into a little (usually white) box that is just bolted to something) and from left side of motor -> strut tower.

And make sure the plugs on the dist are all tight, none of the wires are pulled out of the connectors

Codes again?

Fuses, of course

Fuel again (turn key to 'on' and jumper F/P and GND in the DIAGNOSIS box, right side of engine bay, little black box)
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”