Car still hesitates and randomly dies when at idle

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx3forever

Car still hesitates and randomly dies when at idle

Post by Mx3forever »

This is a continuing problem. My car hesitates a lot between 2000-2500 rpm (especially at 1st and 2nd). it sputters sometimes in 1st and I have to shift up to 2nd to get it out of the RPM range, then I can keep driving. Doesn't do it so much in third and up (or I don't notice it as much).

When It starts this stuff sometimes when you come to a stop it will completely die at idle. Sometimes it will start right back up, sometimes you have to completely turn the car off. You restart the car and it runs as normal?

I have so far replaced the spark plugs, Spark plug wires, rotar and distributor cap, flushed the thing out with Seafoam, cleaned the throttle and reset the ECU.

It's still doing it. Last time I checked the codes it said O2 sensor but I have already replaced the O2. BTW: if it means anything, when I removed the O2 cable and ran the car it did the same thing. I was under the impression that it could say O2 sensor for other problems also (is this true?)

The gas mileage seems to be off a bit, I think it could be running rich.

Anyone have this happen? Does this sound like a sensor problem O2 or other sensor? Should I just start replacing every sensor on this thing? If it's something to do with the fuel system I don't understand why it runs great right after you turn the car back on. It's not consistent.

Does the 4 Cyl have an EGR Valve and could this be the issue?

I'm trying to line up every part that will be replaced.

Mi|<E

Re: Car still hesitates and randomly dies when at idle

Post by Mi|<E »

No vacuum leaks?
Check settings on TB, search for how to.

1994+ 1.6 B6 has an EGR valve
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

I was just getting ready to ask the exact question. My car shakes when idles. Rpm's going to to 1000 then 0, then dies sometimes.
[What can you say, I have a fetish for 3's]
mikeetown wrote: Do what you want to do dude cause in the end, your mx-3 is all about you.
PilotSmack89
antispam: No

Post by PilotSmack89 »

MX-3zoom wrote:I was just getting ready to ask the exact question. My car shakes when idles. Rpm's going to to 1000 then 0, then dies sometimes.
Randomly? Or when you step on the brakes/clutch?
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

I'll just be sitting there. And the Rpm's go slightly over a 1000, then drops to 0(sometimes dying). Does that few times. Then it idles fine. I'll press the gas, aiming at 1500rpm I can fill it putting out,needle is stilling going barely up and down. Can feel it sometimes when driving.
mikeetown wrote: Do what you want to do dude cause in the end, your mx-3 is all about you.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I'll just be sitting there. And the Rpm's go slightly over a 1000, then drops to 0(sometimes dying). Does that few times. Then it idles fine. I'll press the gas, aiming at 1500rpm I can fill it putting out,needle is stilling going barely up and down. Can feel it sometimes when driving.
I had this exact same issue with my GS. For me this would happen about 20-30 seconds after coming to a complete stop. Like at a stop light. 30 seconds later.. idle dipped bad and sometimes died.. if it didnt die.. I could give it gas and it would be fine once I started moving again. For me the solution was to clean the throttle body and reset the IAA screw. After that.. it has been fine. I also noticed that my intake was extremely nasty with oily residue. So I replaced the PCV valve and cleaned the intake up real well. Been running solid ever since.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
PilotSmack89
antispam: No

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Tunes67 wrote:
I had this exact same issue with my GS. For me this would happen about 20-30 seconds after coming to a complete stop. Like at a stop light. 30 seconds later.. idle dipped bad and sometimes died.. if it didnt die.. I could give it gas and it would be fine once I started moving again. For me the solution was to clean the throttle body and reset the IAA screw. After that.. it has been fine. I also noticed that my intake was extremely nasty with oily residue. So I replaced the PCV valve and cleaned the intake up real well. Been running solid ever since.

Tunes67
I had the same problem, and came to the same conclusion.

It would die when I pressed the brakes at idle, so i checked all the wires, and found a bad ground on the taillights that shorted the whole thing out when i pressed the brakes. Fixed that, and then it would still randomly die every once in a while. Cleaned the TB using the post in the FAQs, hasn't happened since.
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
MX-3zoom

Post by MX-3zoom »

Hey thanks guys, have to give the tb a cleaning tomorrow and adjust the srew.See how it goes.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”