probe tranny ??

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
mazdaspeed88
antispam: No

probe tranny ??

Post by mazdaspeed88 »

so i was curious. i found a 97 probe gt at the local junk yard with 193k miles. well the engine blew n thats y it was there. how long/strong are these trannys? how much abuse can they manage? any tips on checking em b4 removal???
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: probe tranny ??

Post by Ryan »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb3/search.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are thousands of good sources of info.

check to make sure it shifts okay (even when not driving) if it doesn't go into a gear at all, there's trouble. If the fluid has metal flakes in it, trouble, it the fluid is black, trouble.

guys put KLZET's against them and break rods before transmissions. I don't think you'll have too much of a problem. plus, if you're making enough power to break a transmission, a new one isn't out of your price range.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
hgallegos915

Re: probe tranny ??

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ryan wrote:http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb3/search.php

There are thousands of good sources of info.

check to make sure it shifts okay (even when not driving) if it doesn't go into a gear at all, there's trouble. If the fluid has metal flakes in it, trouble, it the fluid is black, trouble.

guys put KLZET's against them and break rods before transmissions. I don't think you'll have too much of a problem. plus, if you're making enough power to break a transmission, a new one isn't out of your price range.
x2

I blew 5th gear because I boosted 5th gear ALOT for over a year and a half. replaced the tranny for 150. Been good to me, but the gears are incredibly short for a turbo application.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Transmissions”