Coding

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
PTCS
antispam: No

Coding

Post by PTCS »

1992 mazda mx3 vg 1.8.. purchased the engine from tigerjapanese auto parts in Ontario.. had to swap out the intake manifold and the distributor as they were not the same... since being installed the car codes everytime I take it out on the highway.. around town it does not appear to code.. the codes are different at different times.. the rpms have fluctuated a bit..is idling a bit high have messed with the throttle position sensor.. thinking this would correct it.. was wondeirng if the oxygen sensors/catalytic converter was the problem.. for a while there it was reving up when I put the car into gear(5speed) when I took it out of gear the idle dropped off.. any ideas what the problem is with the check engine light coming on at high speeds..(jumpered the diagnostic box.. this time code 16.. egr function position sensor)... if this is the case... how do you fix a code 16..mazda thinks that the intake manifolds being different could be causing the problems.. I'm thinking if they fit they should work..
ptcs
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Coding

Post by Daninski »

The JDM K8 you got from Tiger rip off does not have the intake drilled to allow for the EGR to function however as long as it is connected you shuld not be getting any code. Check that it's actually there and hooked up. A plugged cat could cause performance issues like
poor throttle responce. O2 won't cause the issues your having.
Finally did you set the TPS correctly? It takes me at least 20 minutes.
Detach TPS connector.

Wire Colour & Purpose
P= +5V reference
Y= TPS position signal to ECU
BR= TPS idle switch
BK/DB= sensor ground

Connect ohmeter to 2 bottom pins (BR and BK/DB) and you should get continuity. If not, loosen 2 TPS retaining bolts and rotate until continuity has just barely been achieved. Semi tighten 2 TPS bolts.
Insert .006" (0.15mm) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and throttle lever. This should not break the continuity. If it does break continuity, slightly adjust TPS rotation again to regain the continuity. Insert the gauge in and out a few times to verify.
After confirming continuity with 0.15mm feeler gauge, insert a .020" (.50mm) feeler gauge. This should just barely break continuity but completely. If not re-adjust TPS rotation again. Re-confirm by re-inserting feeler gauge.
In essence, continuity on initial connection to TPS.
Continuity with .15mm gauge inserted.
No continuity with .50mm gauge inserted.
Tighten down TPS retaining bolts.
Re-connect TPS connector.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
PTCS

Post by PTCS »

I think when the engine was installed... I noticed that the vacum line coming off of the egr valve.. is broken off the black tip is protruding out of the vacum line at the top end of the vacum line coming off of the egr.. I would assume that this would code it.. however I can't find the spot where the vacum line plugs into..
ptcs
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

The vacuum line plugs into a solenoid located on a bracket bolted to the backside of the throttle body. There are 2 solenoids located there and it is (of course) the rear most one that the hose connects too. I know this cause I broke mine too once :oops: If you still cant locate it from that description.. I can get a pic of it and post it up sometime this weekend. Gonna be doing a lot of pics this weekend I think ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Tunes67 wrote: Gonna be doing a lot of pics this weekend I think ;)
Ooooooh... could this be the foreshadow of some MUCH needed updates to your workog? :dunno:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”