inspecting spark plug wires

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Evo_Spec

inspecting spark plug wires

Post by Evo_Spec »

hey guys, i just recently replaced my spark plug wires, but there really was no problem with my old ones, i just changed them because i never did since i bought the car. (the old one's were NGK so i didn't want to change them =P)
the new wires feel the same or maybe a little smoother but that could be all in my head too (engine feel)
but this brought up a question in my head: how do i know if i actually need to change my wires? is there a way to check them? is there a certain life to them?
93vtecklr

Re: inspecting spark plug wires

Post by 93vtecklr »

That is a good question.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

i thought so too, my NGK's look fine, i've seen some pictures of people's spark plug wires on the forums where they have a crack in the spark plug holding part, but mine don't have that, just wondering if changing them was even necessary
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Just a guess, aside from all physical defects.. I would try out the old multimeter and check the resistance end to end. I would think that you'd need a fairly accurate meter, otherwise it may just read as a dead short.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

how much resistance should you be getting though?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

depends on brand and length
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

There are ways to check them, but but to do it accurately you need a bunch of fairly expensive equipment, so it's not really worth it (at least in my opinion).
A visual inspection will normally give you a fairly good idea as to the shape the cables are in. Other than that, as RS_OBD'oh_2 said, you can check the cable's DC resistance. Using a multimeter will be of little use, given the very low resistance you'd be measuring. From then on, you have several options: either you get a mili-ohmeter (the "cheap" choice, which will run you in the order of several hundred dollars), or you can build a Wheatstone bridge with calibrated resistors, get a precision galvanometer and a very stable power supply (about a couple of grand) to get a way more accurate measurement.
Anyways, that's only gonna give you a picture of the wire's DC behavior, what is normally known as a "static test". Better than a visual inspection, but will only take you so far, and a lot of "Buck for the bang"...
To really have an idea of how the cable performs, you'd need to make a "dynamic test", that is a test in where the actual working conditions of the cable are simulated to an extent.
For that, you'd need a square wave generator capable of generating a very high quality waveform of a fairly high voltage, and an oscilloscope (and of course the knowledge to read it), so you're talking about 2-3 grand again. Definitely not worth it (IMO) to test a set of wires that'd cost a couple hundred dollars at most.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

As I understand spark plug wires, the largest points you have to consider are:

1. Resistance
2. RF shielding.

You can have a wire with amazing low resistance, maybe a solid-core wire... however, it can cause excessive RF interference which inhibits other components, such as injectors, sensors and of course, your radio.

The closer to zero ohms, the closer to perfect your resistance in your wires are. Take a voltmeter, throw it on ohms and check your resistance. If it reads low, then you're golden...

... but both resistance and RF interference increases over time. I don't know how you could truly test your wires but at eight dollars, you got some beck arnely wires? It's just good full tune-up practice.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Evo_Spec

Post by Evo_Spec »

SuperK wrote:As I understand spark plug wires, the largest points you have to consider are:

1. Resistance
2. RF shielding.

You can have a wire with amazing low resistance, maybe a solid-core wire... however, it can cause excessive RF interference which inhibits other components, such as injectors, sensors and of course, your radio.

The closer to zero ohms, the closer to perfect your resistance in your wires are. Take a voltmeter, throw it on ohms and check your resistance. If it reads low, then you're golden...

... but both resistance and RF interference increases over time. I don't know how you could truly test your wires but at eight dollars, you got some beck arnely wires? It's just good full tune-up practice.
yeah, i got them off rock auto with the sale thing they got going on
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I got them for my friend, too. They looked all too familiar :P
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 is spot on. look up in the shop manual for the resistance readings in ohms/ft. any digital multimeter will do. you'll be able to see if they're in spec or not and compare to your new ones
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

You could also test the rubber shielding by spraying a mist of water over them at night and seeing if they make any sparks.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
kaube69
antispam: No

Post by kaube69 »

Borderline off topic but where would I buy coloured spark plug wires ( red) I can't seem to find and on local car parts store website. Thanks in advance
black 93' MX-3 -KLZE-
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

wow, you should not have any issues finding these. I did a 1 second search for "Probe GT plug wires" and found them right away. NGK makes a red set. Anywhere that sells NGK will be able to order your wires.
kaube69
antispam: No

Post by kaube69 »

sorry i work midnights so im hella tired when i get home so i just typed in the obvious and it didnt come up..but thank you
black 93' MX-3 -KLZE-

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”