Prominent creeking noice in frontpassenger side wheel area.

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
tineke

Prominent creeking noice in frontpassenger side wheel area.

Post by tineke »

I turn right,(slightly and dramatically)the front passenger area near the wheel makes prominent creeking noise like something is being over extended, or like something is about to break. I have been told it is from turning to fast into corners..?
Does anyone have a suggestion before I take er to a mechanic and have the opportunity to get ripped off?
Thanks
T
Tineke 96 mx3 v6 black beauty
93vtecklr

Re: Prominent creeking noice in frontpassenger side wheel area.

Post by 93vtecklr »

I'd say it's your passenger side CV axle. When I did my first ZE swap my driver side one went, same sound I believe. Is it almost like a ??? clicking sound?
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Inodoro Pereyra

Post by Inodoro Pereyra »

If it's a strong clicking sound, like you're hitting the brakes with a hammer (but kinda muffled), chances are it's the external CV joint o that axle.
But if it's (as I understood by your post) a creeking sound like an old bed when you get on it, it's probably your shock.
Get your car on a flat surface, in neutral and with the hand brake off. put your hands on the top of the fender, right over the wheel, and push the car down as hard as you can, and release it. The car should bounce right back up, and STAY THERE. If the car goes up and down (like a ripple effect), your shock is busted.
U28sIG5vdyB5b3UgYWxzbyBrbm93IGJhc2UgNjQuLi5odWg/DQpTSE9XIE9GRiEhIQ==

"The more I know man, the more I love my dog."

Diogenes of Sinope.
tineke

Post by tineke »

Okay thanks,it definitely sounds like a creeky old bed. So tomorrow morn I will try pushing down on the fender and such andlet you know what happens...THANKYOU GUYS.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Inodoro Pereyra wrote:push the car down as hard as you can, and release it. The car should bounce right back up, and STAY THERE. If the car goes up and down (like a ripple effect), your shock is busted.
I agree, as well, do that to the driver side. If it's isolated to when you're driving it's a CV. I doubt that the previous owner, although I've seen worse, would just replace a certain strut. I've never encountered this but I heard that the stock mx-3 springs have been known to break as well. How is the ride quality? I suggest going to a supermarket, and find some speedbumps. Go over them really slow, and then again at about 10-15kph. If the car, as Inodoro stated, bounces around it's the struts. But what I get is that it's only when you're turning. And that's a CV. Make sure that if it is a CV, that when you get it replaced I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH make sure you tell them if your car is ABS equipped.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

If you can't figure it out u can let me look @ it. Peter came over last weekend and we were able to find out a few issues with his car that sounmd kinda similar to yours
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

When does it happen? While you're turning the wheel, or just when going through the turn with the wheel already turned? If you turn the wheel right and then hold it still, and just drive clockwise in a circle, does the sound still occur?
tineke

Post by tineke »

Took er for a burn this morn and of course because I wanted it to do what it has been doing..it barely did.

Yesterday the entire time I was driving it made the creeking sound turning right,and even when barely turning the steering wheel right,like as if I was avoiding a pothole or some debris on the road. The car makes that sound as well while in reverse (uphill and downhill)turning the steering wheel left and while straightening the wheels. But never going straight or going over bumps.

This morning,it did it in reverse and turning right but very slightly compared to yesterday.
I pushed down on the front fender while in neutral with the parking brake off, it bounced back and stayed there,it didn't make any noise.
(The noise happens while turning the wheel right while driving,in the initial begining of the turn but goes away if it is a long turn.)?

I still have to commute to work 30 min on the hwy and some shitty roads that also have some wicked corners so I will listen to the car and hopefully have some more insight.

93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Okay, another experiment, while turning. Follow me here Tineke, we need to know if the sound is only occurring while in gear or not. Does it still creak while in neutral coasting through corners?
tineke

Post by tineke »

Okay.....on the commute: It made the noise most of the time in the city when turning or sporatically when I had to come to a stop.

While braking coming to a full stop,the car made that noise just before the full stop,then again while acceclerating but quickly went away.
HWY drive it was fine. It rides smooth,not too bouncy.

Timmy's parking lot: it made the sound the whole time I was driving in it to the drive through. While in the drive through. I put it in neutral and moved the wheel side to side. The noise was there while tuning the wheel side to side but still isolated to the passenger side.

On my way home I will try your parking lot experiments for sure.
:)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Ok, so doesn't seem like CV, then. Sounds like part of the steering assembly.

Busted bearing in the strut mount? Or steering rack issue, maybe tie rod is scraping against something?

Can you jack the car up and turn the wheel with tires off the ground? Does it make the sound then? Or does it only happen when suspension is compressed?

Could also be brakes, though I'm not sure how...
Inodoro Pereyra

I agree with the steering problem. I'm thinking maybe the outer tie rod end...

Diogenes of Sinope.
tineke

Post by tineke »

The car did it in neutral,drive and reverse all day. At some points it seemed like the same noise came from perhaps my front axle area as well.
It makes the noise when I turn the wheel into the corner but not through the corner,it goes away through the corner but comes back when the wheels straighten,then once they are straight,the creeking noise disappers.
Inodoro Pereyra

Yep, looks like steering problems to me.
If you're lucky, outer ball joint. If you're not lucky, rack and pinion.

Let's hope you're lucky... :)

Diogenes of Sinope.
tineke

Post by tineke »

I am never lucky. Especially with this car...two new used trannys,one of them was for a 94 early model so it didn't fit,got broken into thank goodness I had an immobilzer,steering thingy,oil leak,front bumper is falling off,lol..not my fault!.. ect..so lets hope I get lucky and it is a minor repair.
Thanks for all your help with everything everyone.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”