Speedo not working

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3gulf
antispam: No

Speedo not working

Post by mx3gulf »

My speedo is not working on car. It was working before I cut wire on ecu to remove limiter. The speedo then bounced up and down eractically when on test run and now does not move at all. On way to the road, I opened the gas up on a bumpy car park and car bounced about a bit, so I was wondering whether that is a factor (something come loose) I have since connected wire back up but still no joy. I am thinking that it has something to do with the impeller that goes into gearbox, is the impeller mechanical or electric driven? I am thinking electric as I can't see anything to suggest otherwise. I suppose it is worth taking impeller out and spinning round or to check teeth as maybe when I done KLZE swap it did not go back in properly. Maybe its something completely different, thats why I have posted on here to see!!

thanks

Paul
1992 KLZE mx3, stainless manifolds, mx3 flywheel & gearbox, more to come!!
stereoking15

Re: Speedo not working

Post by stereoking15 »

well first off is your car a slush box or a manual? the systems are slightly different. i assume slushbox since you are trying to undo the limter. by cutting that wire you could have killed the speed sensor in the tranny. but make things simple make sure it is actually plugged in all the way, no corroded wires and the such.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
mx3gulf
antispam: No

Post by mx3gulf »

Sorry should have said, she is a manual
1992 KLZE mx3, stainless manifolds, mx3 flywheel & gearbox, more to come!!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Cutting the wire on the harness to the ECU should and would have no affect on the speedometer since the speedo sensor runs directly to the cluster, THAN it goes from the cluster to the ECU. Something happened that it doesn't like.

It's gear driven from within the trans, but from there it's transfered as an electrical signal to the speedometer. Only the 92-93 4cyl uses a pure mechanical speedometer cable.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”