Fenders off to clear drag slicks?...

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Shades

Fenders off to clear drag slicks?...

Post by Shades »

Anyone had to take their fenders off for clearance for their drag slicks... I have to. Is there any hidden bolts that I should know about that I need a special tool for?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
onlytrueromeo

Re: Fenders off to clear drag slicks?...

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Besides a philips head screwdriver and a 10mm socket, no I dont think you need anything else. Hidden bolts are when you open the door, on the inside by the side mirrors there is a rubber piece that has bolts behind it. (or if you've removed fenders before rubber piece might be missing) Rubber piece has to be peeled off (just glued)

That was the only thing that gave me trouble when removing fenders.

Sucks you have to remove your fenders, but I guess that's the price you have for having such ridiculously wide tires/offset rims.
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

Why not just roll out/trim up your existing fenders for extra clearence??? I'm sure It couldn't be off by too much, depending on what size slicks your'e running.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Rolling fenders is over rated, I don't really like the look. He only needs the fenders rolled for the slicks, if he had need for all his other tires then it would be a viable option, but w/o that, I think it will look out of place.
Shades

Post by Shades »

Thanks for the tips!

Yeah it only rubs when I turn the wheels... just have to remove them for racing.

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

another hidden bolt under the headlight...

make sure you take off the inner fender guard first (it's easiest to remove the wheel first)... I believe there is also one inside the fender halfway down by the door - I think the fender just slides into this one over a stud.

Also one bolt on the very bottom of the fender (like bottom of the car)
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

What's the overall diameter and width of the tire you're putting on? I managed to fit my 245/45/17s on mine with out any fender rolling or spacers. It's a real close fit, but they fit as long as you have fully adjustable coilovers.

Are you drag racing or road racing?
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I'm drag racing... the OD is 24.5... but when you actually measure it it's 25.5 and it rubs when you turn on the back of the fender.

A hidden bolt under the headlight... Hmmm.

I thought there were two on the bottom of the car... well, I'm just about to head out the door to take one off to see.

hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

The overall diameter on my 245/45/17s is 25.68" simply based on the math of the measurements. I haven't gone out and measured them with a tape measure. With no spacers at all mine rub very very slightly on the LCA when the wheel is turned all the way out. I have no issues with the fenders. Maybe you need some spacers for your rims. I drive mine around town to the track and back and never rub anything unless I have to make a really sharp uturn.

For reference, my rims are a 17x7.5" +45 offset.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

Before your get to busy with the spanners, you might want to check with track officals
if you can remove your fenders and run..
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Interesting.

I'm running 245/50/R16 with Weapon-R Coil overs slammed w/ helper springs in and don't have that problem...I did have to cut down the spring pearches to clear the tires though, was laughing the whole time we were choping them!

I'd say your backspacing on the wheels are incorrect for your setup...technically. What suspension mods have you done?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

He's running MS struts and H&R springs IIRC..

Man I would kill to have those struts..
TMeadows
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by TMeadows »

JWMotorsports wrote:Interesting.

I'm running 245/50/R16 with Weapon-R Coil overs slammed w/ helper springs in and don't have that problem...I did have to cut down the spring pearches to clear the tires though, was laughing the whole time we were choping them!

I'd say your backspacing on the wheels are incorrect for your setup...technically. What suspension mods have you done?
I remember cutting your spring perches... oh the shady stuff that went on in your garage.....
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

TMeadows wrote:
JWMotorsports wrote:Interesting.

I remember cutting your spring perches... oh the shady stuff that went on in your garage.....
He's running Mazdaspeed struts and HandR springs. However, we got new fenders for his car last year and John was gonna cut those up to clear

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”