FibreGlass Speaker Covers

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
TMP39

FibreGlass Speaker Covers

Post by TMP39 »

ok im being little creative. im making fibreglass dooor inserts in place of the speaker grills.
and i figured you guys might like it and want to know what and how i did it so..... here we go.

ok so i first started out by making wo rings. 6.5" from end to and and hey wer 3/8 think and than i had to sand down the inside edge cause the basket of the speaker didnt fit oh well. but than i mounted them on the original speaker grill. because i had two sets one black and one red i painted a while ago.

than i covered them in fabric and put a coat of resin on them and than once the resin was dry i cut off the extra fabric on the back.

than put just one layer of fibreglass on. why jsut one cause i dont see a point in more its not a sub box so....... and i also dont want to make em too thick.

thats as far as i am for now with either side because its takes a while to dry. but i will put up the rest once there done.

i also had made a quickstyle sub box for the back of the montecarlo im driving right now.
i think it looks cool altho the subs blown but either way once i pout another in it it will sound way better haha

i jsut did it from memory and didnt make it as long as i wanted originally but oh well i like it and its not bad for a first time job.

but either way it looks nice and clean no wires anywhere cause everything is on the back. and i didnt do 2 tens cause i just used teh original ones i had from my mx3 and the one was tottally destroyed haha but tell me what you think
TMP39

Re: FibreGlass Speaker Covers

Post by TMP39 »

ok so the fibreglass dryed and i had cut the extra fibreglass off the edges took some 80grit and sanded down some spots.

i after took some body filler and some resin and mixed it together about 70/30 with both hardeners and use a brush and painted it on. and than sanded it smooth. i had jsut test fitted it to see what it would look like.

than once i was happy with it i primed it and now its just waiting for paint and i think it looks awesome.
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Very Nice!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
progt91
antispam: No

Post by progt91 »

looking pretty good.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

nice one :) almost exactly what I did, meant to do a writeup myself, but now you're doing one I don't have to!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
s1zzl3

Post by s1zzl3 »

i did it the exact same way but i used fleece which is a bit thicker
and brushed on layers of fiberglass resin
also i used angled speaker rings so the speakers would be angled towards the driver slightly
good work tho looks good
s1zzl3 & s1 Designs 2009
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2312320
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

So how do you mount the speakers? Do they screw into the fiberglass?
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
TMP39

Post by TMP39 »

Mad Cow wrote:So how do you mount the speakers? Do they screw into the fiberglass?
yea, im just going to make a pilot hole and than screw them in. it will be a little bit before i have them in teh car cause im still waiting for paint and my engine to come back from the machine shop. but once its all done i put up how it all turned out

Return to “Appearance”