ram air/cold air/other small mods,whats best for this car???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
95Mx3GS

ram air/cold air/other small mods,whats best for this car???

Post by 95Mx3GS »

Okay, so other than exhaust/brakes/wheels/sound i have no mods, and i would like to get started on some this summer. I have a buddy who owns a shop so he could do most of these things for extremely cheap, just a little more that i would do them for so i dont need any walkthroughs/diy's, just recommendations/explanations.

I have been doing a little reading about air intakes, and am quite impressed. I still do not know which one to get for my 95 mx3 gs (stock engine). Of course, I am not overflowing with money, but I have been saving up some extra here and there for this so under $500 would be optimal (this doesnt mean that i want to spend that much, if i could get a great deal on something as good for 200 less, please say so).

So, what is the best way to get more horsepower with an intake for my car? I know you guys are all experienced in modding the mx3, so I hope someone will have answers :) What kind of intake is the best, and why? and what brand? Also, how often should they be replaced? are there any negative effects?

I am also open to suggestions for other minor mods that are not too expensive and benefit my hp.

Thanks in advance !!!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: ram air/cold air/other small mods,whats best for this car???

Post by Mooneggs »

My initial thought would be save up a little more money and get a KLZE instead of trying to make your k8 faster. There is not much you can do for any significant gains. Sure you could throw $500 at it by getting an intake, porting and polishing the IM, maybe doing new wires, plugs, and things of that nature but nothing like that motor swap will get you.

an intake will not gain you much more than a cool sucking sound and better throttle response (which will feel faster) :shrug:

as far as inexpensive minor mods, check out fowljesse's worklog... he makes most stuff himself but mind you it's not on a k8...
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Don't spend money on the K8, save up for a KLZE.

OR, invest in a megasquirt! for ~500-600 you should be able to get set up with one nicely, squeeze out a few extra horses from that k8. an intake can be made for $30 from an ebay integra kit or something, and will net you like 1hp. An engine management is the best bang for your buck, besides an engine swap. Period.

I wouldn't spend my money on anything else except maintenance stuff - replace wires w/ 8.5mm super conductor wires and do an HEI mod to your disty, then redo your grounds and wire from alternator to battery. These again won't net you much, but will help regain lost HP. Start here if you want to, all this will be transferable to a ZE! Engine work on a K8 is just silly when ZE's or even DE's are so cheaply had...
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

List of bolt ons for K8 motor:
Headers-Various Brands such as SSautochrome, Hurricane,Megan Racing, etc. Mind you that these are for the kl, but will still bolt on. The only thing that needs to be done is the cat needs to be moved back approx 1.5 to 2 inches.

Intake-PRM Jetstream, or do like most, buy the filter and tubing, and do a custom true cold air intake by routing it out of the engine bay

Underdrive pulley-Simple installation, however, requires new belts and grinding away of timing cover

Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator-no hp gain, but does increase throttle response

Outlaw Engineering Intake Manifold/TB Spacers-requires removal of intake manifold, which in turn allows you the opportunity to match port it to the spacers. Can be done with a dremel tool.

There's plenty more you could do, of course, none of these would bring you anywhere close to what could be had with a KL swap, or boost. But it's always fun to start with these, as most of these parts can be swapped to a kl engine later on down the road. But these mods listed can each be had for roughly $100 usd, if you shop around.

Good luck, and happy modding! :welder:
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

The outlaw spacers cost about $100 themselves, better save the money and get them when you get a ZE cuz they don't transfer over! Cheap ebay headers are what I run on my ZE - I think they should bolt up to a k8, but you will have to move the cat as stated. I don't see the point in getting an expensive intake, it does the same thing as a cheap one but you spend more $$ for a name. Cheap ebay piping w/ K&N filter will set you back less than half of the PRM price and will prob. flow better. I don't think UDP's are really beneficial as they take out the harmonic balancer and can cause other problems, and a FPR is meh :shrug:

Honestly, grounds, HEI mod and wires are your best bet along w/ cheap ebay intake and headers - they will all transfer to upgraded engine and won't set you back alot, and I can't really name any negatives to them. Save the rest of your money to do better performance mods in the future, or update your interior a bit!
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

duuhhhhhh...forgot one. Nitrous!!! You can assemble your own Wet efi kit for +- $300. And as long as you do your research, it is safe. Don't believe the hype in the movies about "NOS" being dangerous. It's no more of a safety hazard than your tank of Highly explosive Gasoline. Start somewhere with a 50 shot and go from there.
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

^Good point.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

For your $500, or a little more, you can swap in a KLDE, and mod it with parts you can eventually swap to a ZE. If you did go with ram air, it would help a little, and would work even better on a KL, especially with other mods. I also recommend not putting money into the K8. I have a stock one with pheno spacers, mild intake, and exhaust, and it's pretty peppy. First thing.. switch to synthetic oil, and lube everywhere. That alone can get you a couplr of horsepower depending on what fluids you have, and your local climate. If you're savvy, I'd also recommend megaSquirt, especially since you can use it if you swap to a bigger engine... I'd look into all the mods that would transfer, and plan on getting a KL.
I got sick of reading that when I first got on here, but the difference between my peppy K8, and my KL is night and day. The fast car will have 2x the horsepower, when I tune it.
Good luck, and put up a worklog!
I would actually recommend the pheno spacers if you're not going to swap anytime soon, especially if you live somewhere that gets hot. I used to drive my K8 across Texas, and it would get so hot that I would seriously lose at least half my power. It would bog from red lights. The spacers solved this.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”