At last, MX-6 ECU + KL02 vs. Probinator + JE50 dyno results.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Whisper

At last, MX-6 ECU + KL02 vs. Probinator + JE50 dyno results.

Post by Whisper »

scubasteve_07 of MX6 forums was kind enough to loan me his MX-6 ECU and KL02 VAF, and today I finally went to the dyno and got solid numbers.

Just to recap the setup: KLZE with curved neck IM, headers, 2.5" exhaust, CAI, new plugs, new wires, new disty, HEI.

I'll post the graph pics later, when I get home, but for now here's roughly what I ended up with:

[edit]
The Probinator/JE-50 setup gave 153 WHP in 4th, but the AFR graph looks almost as badly rich as it did before. And increase of 8 WHP and 5 torque was possibly a result of finally hooking up the secondary coolant sensor (one that controls the fans).
[/edit]

Now, MX-6 ECU/KL02 VAF was a whole another story. Almost 160 WHP in 4th, and that's with DE VRIS points. AFR was a bit on the lean side, but the curve was decently flat. The guy at CarbConn said that since I have a relatively new cat, then it's possible their reading was a bit too lean, thus I'm likely even closer to proper mixture than the graph shows.

So I'm both impressed and confused, since Probinator and JE50 would be a much more proper combo for a ZE, and yet it's rather rubbish compared to the DE setup. I don't fully understand how this could be...but I'll take what I can get. If it's DE combo, then so be it.

There you go.
Last edited by Whisper on June 4th, 2009, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcdh

Re: At last, MX-6 ECU + KL02 vs. Probinator + JE dyno results.

Post by marcdh »

I knew it! Thanks for taking the time to do that, though I guess it worked out being worthwhile!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: At last, MX-6 ECU + KL02 vs. Probinator + JE50 dyno results.

Post by Mooneggs »

This is quite interesting...

what kind of dyno is it?

and thanks for testing... I think slowly as people test their different setups with different ecu's we will finally have actual numbers to see which really is better!
Last edited by Mooneggs on June 4th, 2009, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

It's a Dynojet.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

is the MX-6 ECU a kl01? if not what is the code on it?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

No, not KL01. It's a 95 ECU. Don't remember the exact number, but I think it's something like KL86 or 85 or some such. I'll check later, it's in the car.
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

mine was running stupidly rich with the probinator+JE50. switched to KL02 and no more epic amounts of waisted gas, wish i had an a/f gauge to test though.
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I'm not surprised, I always knew the Probinator ran richer, and it would make sence, since it's like those eBay resistors, more fuel does not equal more power. However with the Probinator, if you order it correctly, it will have the proper VRIS points. I did e-mail him a while back and he admitted that he uses modified fuel maps, and I was thinking of getting one done by with the stock fuel maps but with the corrected VRIS.

The DE combo would work better for peak power, but I'm guessing that the powerband would spike more because of the VRIS being off.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Going to have to buy more stuff now lol

I know probinator does a chip for the probe too - does he ruin the mixture on this one or just remove the rev limiter, speed limiter and change the VRIS points?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Ok, I'm looking over the graphs now, and I'm not sure where I got 145 WHP, it's actually 153 WHP. Hmm... I must have glanced at the torque numbers by accident. Didn't have the graphs in front of me when posted the thread... My bad for not paying attention. Although this doesn't really change the fact that DE setup is superior. It does however mean that fixing the coolant sensor gained me some power and some torque. More good news, I guess. Ha. I'll edit the first post.
progt91
antispam: No

Post by progt91 »

does the car accelerate any smoother with the mx-6 ecu and kl02? just wondering which way to go for sure since soon i will have my car put together. i have the chipped k8 with the je50 for my kl motor, i also have the kl02 but no ecu. but so far looks like the mx-6 wins
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I'd say they're about even in smoothness. Here are the graphs:

JE50/Probinator K8 ECU

KL02/KL85 ECU
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I cant believe this!

Stupid a-- probinator chip. I was talking to my bro about this, he has a PGT with similar mods to me.. We both have chips.

His car has 1 bad VRIS and he keeps up to me well, his fuel mileage is around 30-31mpg whereas mine is 24-26 MAX...

I think the chip works well in his car, maybe the JE50 is the issue on the probinator? Maybe you need the kl02 VAF?

Mooneggs and I are discussing this now, it makes sense. Think about it, probe guys NEVER really complain about the probinator... Whisper dynos WITH a kl02 on the mx6 ecu, but with a je50 on the probintor ecu... EVERYONE on the board is running probinator with je50... why dont we try a kl02 VAF with the probinator and see what happens?

Ryan claims that that probinator will read the je50 VAF.. However, the chips are created for PROBES and MX6'S... Both VAF's can be used, so why not use a VAF that the chip was more specifically designed for..
Last edited by solo_ryder on June 4th, 2009, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

You should've tested the probinator and KL02 VAF, that's what I'm curious about. I've heard that the KL02 leans out the mixture compared to the JE50, so maybe that and probinator would be perfect.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Solo, I just bought a kl02 off ebay as that was my thought. I am going to see if it works. If not, I can always sell it or buy a probe/mx6 ecu and chip that.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”