few ZE questions.. im getting closer!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
speedmazda

few ZE questions.. im getting closer!!

Post by speedmazda »

hey guys im starting to finally get my ZE swap tailed away. got a few more quick questions/issues

the car ran really rich when i first did the swap.. would over-fuel that much it would barely run cold at all. had the probinator chip swapped in my k8 ecu and replaced the severely worn k8 disty cap and rotor that i used, connected the rest of the exhaust.. (headers, high-flow cat, resonator, 2.5 inch piping to straight-thru dual tip muffler.)

also a new set of plugs when i got the rest of that done, seeing that the previous new ones installed first were pretty carbon fouled.

So anyway, it runs. have'nt had a chance to get it out on the road for a test, as there are a few more areas on the car that have to be worked on before i can be able to put it on the road.

but im still experiencing a little rich issue, the car starts, idles and runs fine. it seems that once the engine comes up to operating temps, hitting WOT from idle i can notice small bits of black smoke puffing from the tailpipes. not much comparatively, but something tells me its a shade rich yet.

what can i do to remedy this? any more options to making this car run leaner without going with a standalone?

thanks!
'94 MX-3 GS. Curve Neck ZE-Powered!! Headers, high flow cat, 2.5 exhaust, custom CAI, stage 2 centerforce clutch, dropzone lowering springs.
marcdh

Re: few ZE questions.. im getting closer!!

Post by marcdh »

My probinator chipped k8 ECU runs 10:1 at WOT... My AFPR doesn't have any real effect on that, the ECU just compensates. It seems there's a few people finding this chip very rich, I'm not convinced on it. Maybe one day my megasquirt will work and I'll be sorted. Probably not :lol:
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I find it runhs richer, I can tell by the fuel milleage and looking at the plugs; he even says he runs a modified fuel map. I like the KL36 for how it was, except the VRIS didn't match up. These were the plugs on my motor running the KL36 ECU:

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
speedmazda

Post by speedmazda »

so its normal for the k8 probinator chipped ecu to run a little rich? im not to worried about it only the fact that i may be losing a little HP to it. so is the KL-36 ecu a better option? what would be the negative effect of the vris not matching?

also, does anyone have a couple round about HP and TQ numbers for a strong-running klze with the modifications i have?

ss autochrome headers, high-flow 2.5 cat, 2.5 exhaust, perf muffler. custom CAI, little timing advance from stock.

also thinking about turboing in the near future.. how much boost can i run safely? how much more hp could i expect?

thanks!
'94 MX-3 GS. Curve Neck ZE-Powered!! Headers, high flow cat, 2.5 exhaust, custom CAI, stage 2 centerforce clutch, dropzone lowering springs.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

I have a KL31 chip in my K8 ECU and while the VRIS points are a bit off, they're still pretty effective, the transitions are just really abrupt. It gives me a really nice kick at around 4k and 5.5k RPM.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Yeah something is definitely wrong with all these chips. One of my friends is trying to find out what it is exactly because even just on a stock KL31 you shouldn't run ARF of 10:1, that's stupidly rich. That's more rich that a lot of turbo cars run....
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
speedmazda

Post by speedmazda »

any options on leaning out the af ratio without changing the ecu or chip? is there another maf you can use i read somewhere? any other thoughts on the other questions i have?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”