Engine mount issue!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Legato626

Engine mount issue!!!

Post by Legato626 »

Well some of you guys know that I got my ZE finally well everything was swapping over just fine!! Got everything over trany all is looking good till I put the eng mount on the engine. The studs are different they are longer then normal. They have about a inch of non threded on the stud. Is there a different eng mount they I need for this style or do I have to make a spacer for it? I am also unable to take them off!!
1994 toyota supra single turbo
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

If god owned a car... It would be a supra!!!
marcdh

Re: Engine mount issue!!!

Post by marcdh »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67600&p=485364&hilit=mount#p485364

marcdh wrote:hmmmmmmmmmm... Well here are the mounts in comparison. I can't be sure what the ZE mounts was from, mx6/millenia? You can see the differences in bolt lenth, and even the horizontal spacing of the bolts is further away from the engine.

I imagine you have came across what I did! Funny thing is, the guy who owned this ZE had it in his mx3 with this mount! What he did is use lots of tubular spacers so the mount torqued against them where it is threaded. You can see them in that photo, pretty ghetto but it worked for years for him.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

i can see the difference their but is their a difference where the mounts bolt on to the chassis between 1.6 and 1.8
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Legato, you need to keep the mx3 engine mounts. If you want an upgrade you can get the AWR ones for the front and back.
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

Cool so can I take the ZE off and take my old one and bolt it on will it still line up?
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Yep, that's the best option- fit the mx3 mount to the ZE :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
Legato626

Post by Legato626 »

guessing the mount bolts are under the timing belt cover...
1994 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE

marcdh

Post by marcdh »

'fraid so!
View Worklog
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You do not need to take the tbelt cover off to remove the mount on that side!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

onlytrueromeo wrote:You do not need to take the tbelt cover off to remove the mount on that side!
I thought the same at first but after looking at the shop manual it reminded me of how that part is attached. The part in question is indeed bolted to the motor under the timing belt cover (I just went outside to validate since I was curious LOL)... I'm assuming you are referring to the other part of the mount that attaches to the studs...

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B2-049.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... B2-026.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Why would you need to remove both pieces? I've had 2 ZE's, and I was just required to remove the top part of it (labeled 1 in your first link) and put the MX3 mount in its place. Unless the motor was in a car that required a different mount altogether?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Why would you need to remove both pieces? I've had 2 ZE's, and I was just required to remove the top part of it (labeled 1 in your first link) and put the MX3 mount in its place. Unless the motor was in a car that required a different mount altogether?
Well, I too have had 2 ze's and have not had this issue, but this doesn't negate the fact that Legato IS having this issue. We are just offering solutions and he basically has 2:

1. Add metal spacers to the non-threaded part.
2. Unbolt the mount and replace with one that is meant for the mx-3.

I would go with option 2 since I'm not sure how much I trust metal spacers... and why not do it right if could -especially if I had the correct part to replace it with :shrug:
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I guess I didn't understand why he had to remove the t-belt cover because I thought he could just swap the top mount part.
Silkwyrm

Post by Silkwyrm »

I just got through this issue myself, after putting the engine in the bay, hooking up the power steering pump and AC compressor and adjusting the belts, Then I decide to tighten that mount down. Damn did that suck.

Onlytrueromeo, if you look at the images in the second post. You'll see that some ZEs have a different mount attached to the engine. Not only does it not line up quite right, but the posts are long and have an unthreaded space at the bottom.

And yeah, the t-belt covers have to come off to swap the mount.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

what he said ^ Why must you ignore my photo diagram onlytrueromeo :P It's not that bad :lol:
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”