not your everyday idling problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
yureno

not your everyday idling problem

Post by yureno »

ive adjusted the idle screw (yes jumping ten & ground) to 500rpm, i cant go any higher coz for some reason usualy in hot weather it will jump between 1000rpm and 1500rpm constantly. ive done voltage and resistance checks on vaf-good, tps-good, but havnt adjusted it, not realy sure how to or if its needed) and iacv(resistance is 13ohms, manufactures specs says it should be 10-12) and ive replaced the pcv valve.

+ i 4got to add, my car doesnt ALWAYS idle at 500, sometimes 1500 wen hot sometimes 1000 sometimes 700, usualy 500 tho.

im thinking tps or iacv, but i dont just wna go out and buy new 1's coz im pretty sure they're not cheap

ideas peoples..??
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: not your everyday idling problem

Post by Ryan »

Maybe when it gets warmer outside, the plastics in the intake become slightly more pliable and creates an air leak. When it cools down the plastics harden and close the leak.

Have you tried the brake/carb cleaner/propane test?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

I have exactly the same problem. Idle hunts between 1000-1500 every maybe second or so. It's been annoying me for like 6 months since I did my ZE swap, and I'm going to try to figure it out over the next few days. I suspect it has something to do with an over-excited up-revving (ie. due to increased load from the alternator) followed by a fuel cut. It just finds its resonance frequency.

Are you OBD-II or OBD-I?
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
yureno

Post by yureno »

not to sure if im obd1 or obd2

let us know if u fix the problem, i give up, spent so many hours on it..
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

obd2 was mid 95-96+ and only in canada, not in the US. To check there will be an obd2 port on the passenger side under the dash, if its not there then ur obd1. Mine is obd2 and I have a similar problem with no codes at all on mine.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”