fog light install

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
tom_finn

fog light install

Post by tom_finn »

im planning on installing fog lights, but first i want to know all the steps. does sumbody have a walkthrough or pictureson how to install them.

oh and what is the best place to tap into a wire for the power?

thanks guys
tom
Nd4SpdSe

Re: fog light install

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

What kind of fog lights? What kind of bumper do you have? Where do you want to put them?

I think I stole the power from the fuses in the engine bay, either ABS or A/C, Don't remember, but I have neither. Ideally, wiring in a switched relay that's tapped into the parking lights, so you can only turn them on with at least the parking lights on.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
tom_finn

Post by tom_finn »

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/produc ... Code=3151F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

these are the lights im planning on using, oh and i have the stock bumper, and im planning on putting them in the bottom lip of the mouth (the missing parts that looks like a mouth, for airflow to the radiator)

how would i go about tapping into the fuses or relays, i havent done this before and i dont want to mess up the wiring ir fuse/relay block, could you give me a step by step walkthrough on how to go about it?
tom
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

almost all fog lights come with the wiring required such as relays and switches/fuses. Just remember that when tapping into wiring use proper wiring not farmer wiring or ghetto wiring. Piggyback fuses are available to use for tapping into a single fuse holder and using it to supply 2 fuses (1 for the original source and 1 for your source) without causing any damage. Never run a direct 12 volt source without a fuse in that circuit. If you need I can supply you with a basic schematic for a fog light system. FYI use a dedicated relay for the fog lights don't tap into factory relays for it unless they are meant for it. Check out this link for a wiring schematic. http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/e ... glites.htm. My only beef is that they don't show a fuse on the switch side between the switch and the power source, which should be there.
tom_finn

Post by tom_finn »

ok cool, thanks Newfie_Dan, thats helps a lot
tom
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I've only got one suggestion for a change to that diagram. I wired mine exactly like that with one exception. If you pull the power for the switched coil on the relay from the interior light circuit, then your fogs will only come on with the headlights. I added that little change after I left the damn things on and drained my battery a couple times.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I tapped mine into the running lights, so I can turn them on with at least the running lights, headlights could actually be off.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”