Won't start in single digits/neg digits

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
coltfoet5

Won't start in single digits/neg digits

Post by coltfoet5 »

Hey guys, I have a ZE that runs great unit it gets into the single digits and - degree wind chills. It turns over but never starts up. The battery is giving enough amperage and the starter works fine. If it is above 10 degrees out i can start up and go no problem. I'm thinking it could possibly be a bad coolant temperature sensor. Could that be correct? Has anybody else had this problem? I had to push it in a garage today let it sit for a hour and it started and ran fine all the way home.
onlytrueromeo

Re: Won't start in single digits/neg digits

Post by onlytrueromeo »

If its turning over fine, I'd guess you need some dry gas! How long has it been doing this? Pick up a thing of dry gas and fill your car up with fuel. See if that helps.
Dragyn Vyrus

Post by Dragyn Vyrus »

i had the exact same problem a week ago. i suggest that you go and get a block heater put in now lol
when it happened to mine i just kept on going at it because it sounded like it wanted to fire and such just didn't, ended up with an extremely flooded engine and a fried battery. push it into your garage, let it heat up, and go and get a block heater installed. my advice anyway, good luck with it.
93 MX-3 ZE-GS - Sold
95 MX-3 RS - Bone stock winter car.
92 JDM turbo MR2 - SSQV, Cusco strut tower bar, ATS intercooler kit, Berk Exhuast, HKS EVC-S
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Block heaters are saving grace. Also, you reach operating temperature, I would say, twice as fast. Wind chill does not affect inatimate objects. (It increases the rate of cooling, but does not decrease the actual temperature)

edit, on top of what mitmaks said, at your temperatures, anywhere between 5-10W20-30 should be fine. Well, really that leaves 4 options but you know what I'm saying...
Last edited by Ryan on December 16th, 2008, 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

block heater and run some thinner oil in your engine.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Your crank sensor is probably the problem. Sitting in the garage warmed it and that's why it started. Just had that problem on a PT cruiser. (OR, it could be ice in your fuel lines lol) kidding. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”