KLDE (9:2:1) Opinions on turbo's?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Swanny

KLDE (9:2:1) Opinions on turbo's?

Post by Swanny »

Im wondering if anyone has opinions on turbo's for a DE block with some ZE internals, wiseco pistons, 330cc injectors.

I was thinking do a Holset HY30 (Stole the idea from a member of the boards)

I am hoping to run 12-16 psi and blow lots of gaskets.

Thanks guys
JWMotorsports

Re: KLDE (9:2:1) Opinions on turbo's?

Post by JWMotorsports »

Sounds like fun. What A/R turbine housing is on the HX30? If it is off the Cummins 5.9L diesel it will be a bit laggy but fun on the top end of the rpm band.

Your primary concern here needs to be AFRs and EGTs with the increased compression...I am a fan of higher compression with boost and it works great if exicuted correctly. Most people blow their motors this way because they don't tune it correctly. The HX30 if I remember correctly can support somewhere around 400-450hp while boosting up to around 40psi...You may want to contact Holset for 100% correct specs here. A compareable turbo power wise at 30ish psi would be the Garret GT32 journal bearing with a .78 A/R turbine housing. The GT32 in this config should spool much quicker. Or better yet the GT2876R ball bearing with .78-.82 A/R turbine would be just sick on that motor....it would give you a nice fat power band while support 450-500HP.

For 500 crank HP with a fuel rail pressure of 73.5 psi @ 30psi of boost you will need a MIN. of (6) 550cc fuel injectors. I'd reccomend going up at least one more size (660cc). With (6) 330cc injectors your limited to about 270 crank HP with a rail pressure of 59.5psi @ 16psi of boost. These figures assume that your base line fuel pressure at atmosheric pressure is 43.5psi, your FPR has a rising rate of 1:1, using a BSFC of .65, and not pushing the injectors past 80% duty cycle.

I'd HIGHLY recommend you atleast use ARP head studs, Fel-Pro MLS head gaskets (or Cometic but you'll need the head n block decked for a 32ra or better surface finish), Wide band AFR logging, EGT gauge and/or logging, 255lph or larger fuel pump, 660cc injectors, stand alone EMS, the biggest Inter Cooler you can stuff in the front (http://www.corksport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), High voltage ignition system with good plug wires and NGK V-Power plugs gapped at .032", 3" inch exhaust from the turbine back. Increase oil pressure and use ACL coated bearings from http://www.calicocoatings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You may even want to conider the race clearance bearings with Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer added to 10w30 oil. You may also want to buy some good forged 4340 rods as the stock rods will hold for a good while but will snap eventually due to cyclic fatigue.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!

Return to “Forced Induction”