What engine did i just buy/KLZE build thread

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
d-bledsoe

What engine did i just buy/KLZE build thread

Post by d-bledsoe »

Today i went out to foreignengines.com werehouse to pick up a replacement K8 for my 92 mx-3, yes i know could have gone ZE but i decided to stick with a K8 for several reasons, time and cost being big factors, as i just need to get the car running again before i move in a few weeks, in addition the K8 is only temporary as i will be converting the car to electric next year.

Anyways i purchased a real nice looking K8. I get it home and i start to notice several differences between the new k8 and the old k8 i just pulled from my mx-3. First the IM on the new K8 is not a curved neck like what is on my old K8, the new K8 has a straight neck IM, second the distributor on my old K8 had 2 electrical plugs for the computer, the new K8 only has one plug. I checked the block and heads on the new k8 and the heads have K8 stamped on them, and stamped into the block near the timing pully is K8 292545. I am noticing a few other small differences between my old K8 and the new K8 like how the 2 fuel lines are routed. At first i though i was sold a KF because the IM's look similar, but after seeing the K8 292545 casting near the timing pully i am starting to wonder what the heck i have.

I have attached a few photos of the new K8 and my old K8. I am hoping the experts here can help identify what the heck i have.

New K8

Old K8

Thank you for you time as i have spent the last 5 hours trying to figure out exactly what i have

-Derek Bledsoe
Last edited by d-bledsoe on November 12th, 2008, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Re: What engine did i just buy

Post by 2fazed »

Look and see if it has an egr. If it doesn't, looks like you just got a klze engine instead of a K8. Probably the best mistake you can get.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Looks like a kfze, it has k8 stamped on it.

look at the head codes. the kfze will not come with an egr.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

were are the head codes located? i realize on the head, but any general location i should look? I was thinking more and more that it is a K8ZE, all KFZE's have KF stamped into the block near the timing pully, mine has K8 stamped into it.

This engine is imported from japan
-derek
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

pretty sure thats just a k8ze..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

Im leaning towards k8ze also, just because of the K8 stamped near the timing pully. all KFZE's where stamped KF there.

If it is a K8ze do i need to change out my ECU to a K8ZE ecu? I will be needing to swap distributors, and a few other small parts and sensors.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Look down where the intake bolts to the engine, at about the middle of the head on the inside is where you'll find the head code. A K8ZE has the same looking intake with that looped part on the timing belt side. http://got-jdm.com/9296-jdm-k8ze-18l-v6 ... -p-64.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; KFZE, http://www.sunrisejdmmotors.com/engine_ ... =72&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

See i have seen the K8ZE with different intakes: http://www.japanmotorimport.com/JDM_eng ... K8ZE_92-97" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; As well as the one you just posted. What is really making me think i have a K8ZE is the K8 292545 stamped near the timing pully. All the KF's i have seen show a KF stamping there. My new K8 has K8 stamped into the sides of the heads as well. I just checked the heads and the heads are stamped K8 IAI and K8 I0I

This information doesn't really still tell me if i have a KFZE or a K8ZE even a K8... It looks like the best way to tell what i have would be to check the cam numbers? the KFZE will have KF01 and the K8 and K8ZE will have K8. What is the best way to check the cam numbers?

Really i dont care what engine i have as long as it will drop right in and work. If i need to replace the ECU and make major changes to get this engine to work then i will take it back and get a ZE. I just needed a cheap engine installed back into the Mx-3 while i move. Like i said in a years time i will be ripping it back out anyways when i convert it to electric.
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Just swap your intake and distributor ect... onto the new K8 weather its a k8ze or k8 it will run for what you need it to.
d-bledsoe

Post by d-bledsoe »

I have decided to take the motor back, i popped the valve covers today to check the cam numbers which it does turn out to be a K8 not a KFZE, but its in worse shape then the K8 i just pulled out of my car. The 2/3rds of the cam lobes have debris on them, looks a little like rust, the valves are also in worse shape, and its much darker brown under the valve cover then my K8.

I will be taking it back tomorrow and asking to see a ZE.

-Derek
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Doesnt anyone listen to this dude?!

IT SAYD KF ON THE BACK

its a kfze...

Not a k8ze or even a k8.

take it back asap.. thats not what you asked for.

it it says KF on the block its obiously a KF engine.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

hgallegos915 wrote:Doesnt anyone listen to this dude?!

IT SAYD KF ON THE BACK

its a kfze...

Not a k8ze or even a k8.

take it back asap.. thats not what you asked for.

it it says KF on the block its obiously a KF engine.
Calm down dude, He never said it was a KF, It was infact a K8 but was in bad shape. Read the entire thread before posting please.

d-bledsoe: You should opt for the ZE anyways, The swap is easy, and it will be a much more fun car to drive. There are only a few things that are different such as the small things like swapping your K8 Coolant filler neck onto the ZE ect... There is plenty of information on the mx-3.com forums about swapping it in. Good luck on whatever engine you get/deceide to purchase or repurchase... Whatever happens let us know how it goes.
pumpkin king

Post by pumpkin king »

A true klze will have kl-31 stamped on the heads and cams....just so you dont get ripped again
My Metallic Mistress
95 mx3 4 to 6 swap progress is very,very slow. Its really just sitting there!!
95 Probe GT,Gumetal,Shaved and rebuilt ZE heads,intake p and p,UR UDP, MX-3 Flywheel,Razor hood,Quad Sleepy Eyes,BSA wheels,Sparco seats,STS,CM stage 3, CAI, DUEL CD, 96 Black tails,StreetGlow inside and out, 5% tint. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/698809" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

pumpkin king wrote:A true klze will have kl-31 stamped on the heads and cams....just so you dont get ripped again
Nice, I forgot to tell him that haha, Also a true ZE will have a straight neck intake, but most mx-3 owners that was the ZE in use the Millenia KL47 Intake because its a curved neck Intake. And make sure to pop the valve covers to be sure your precious kl31 cams are there.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The K8ZE you got is probably in better shape than you think. Nobody wants them so they sit for a long time. I have swapped in motors that sat outside for years. Run it up with new HD 15W40 oil for about 15 - 20 mins then do an oil change with standard 10W40 or whatever you plan to use and you'll be fine. HEavy duty oil is high in detergent and will help to clean the engine. If you're converting to electric later, for the money, mx3boyze is right. Just put your intake and distributor on it and it'll run just fine.

If you paid the right price its a perfectly good option.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”