The right Combination of parts fo the KLZE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MAZDA SPEED MX-3

The right Combination of parts fo the KLZE

Post by MAZDA SPEED MX-3 »

Im just wondering what the best combination of all these parts is to get the ZE running decently. I have a K8 VAF(JE50) and a VAF out of a 626(KL02). I have the K8 flywheel and starter. I have a 2.5 tranny out of a 94 Probe but no starter came with it (tranny came form junkyard). 2.5 ECU from a 94 Probe as well as K8 ECU. i have all these parts but even wth all my researching i cant come to a clear conclusion of what will make this thing run best. just trying to avoid putting it all in and then tryin to figure out why it wont start up, if i cant avoid that now. thanks in advance.
turbulence23

Re: The right Combination of parts fo the KLZE

Post by turbulence23 »

well, all of this has been covered so many times on this board but ok...

* VAF: JE50
* ECU: KL-31/36 or chipped K8 ecu with probinator chip
* flywheel: MX3 or Fidanza
* tranny: for more topend speed 2.5L, shorter ratio: 1.8L

what clutch are you going to use as i don't see this questioned here, but its a critical part
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

What year is your ride?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MAZDA SPEED MX-3

I know the info is all over its just a little inconsistant . im running an Exedy clutch package and its a 93, the engine im not sure of.
MAZDA SPEED MX-3

if you run the JE50 VAF doesnt it throw a CEL?
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

JE50 is what works with KLZEs OEM, so I doubt that's cause for CEL! I'm running k8 ecu with probinator chip, it gives me no bother and it cost next to nothing :) You'll have to search but I think the probe tranny may be the same ratio as k8- not all 2.5s have the longer gears, that's for sure.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
MAZDA SPEED MX-3

any advantage/disadvantage to running a 2.5 ECU and 1.8 ECU with VAF's matching either one. basicallly im wondering if the 2.5 ECU and VAF are completely unessesary for the KLZE and if should just be running the JE50 and a chipped K8 ECU like most.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

My opinion is get your k8 ecu chipped if it is chippable and just use your JE50. Assuming you will be using the curved neck this is a correct match for the engine, and the intake's VRIS. It's cheap and it works very well :)

Some use the kl01 ecu and MAF and that works well too, I haven't used it so I can't really comment or compare.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
MAZDA SPEED MX-3

got it so the KL02 VAF is primaraly used for OBDII models?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

OBDII MX-3's stilll use a VAF. KLDE's use the Maf so their ECU's are different. ZE's use the same Vaf we do so the ECU just has to be chipped to correct the VRIS points.

There is a CEL because the ZE has one less temp sensor than the K8. I believe this is also corrected by the Probinator chip.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

wytbishop wrote:OBDII MX-3's stilll use a VAF. KLDE's use the Maf so their ECU's are different. ZE's use the same Vaf we do so the ECU just has to be chipped to correct the VRIS points.

There is a CEL because the ZE has one less temp sensor than the K8. I believe this is also corrected by the Probinator chip.
KLDE is also VAF... i have a KL-02 VAf from a KLDE with a KL-05 chipped ecu and it runs like hell... don't know where the guy got the chips from, but he is a mx6/probe wizard and found out that it was way better then the JE50-KL3. ecu combo
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The Probe tranny is the EXACT same as the Mx-3 one. You just wasted money on buying it cause there is no difference.

The only KL that uses a MAF is the Millenia, reason we can't use their ECU or VAF's...

The Je50 VAF is the proper VAF to combine with a KL31 or KL36 ECU

The KL02 VAF some use as a cheap alternative since it tricks the ECU to run better. With the K8 VAF and ECU in place, it still things you have a K8 with 180cc injectors. The ZE has 220cc so it dumps in alot more fuel than necessary. Putting in a KL02 is a trick that seems to work well. This is almost necessary on an OBDII KL Mx-3 since you can't swap in another ECU since they're apparently wired different.

A KL02 VAF combined with a KLDE ECU works well since, no matter if it's a KLDE or KLZE, it's designed for a 2.5L

Apparently one of the pros to the Probinator is that it says it removes the requirement for a JE50 VAF, but that's not a big deal for us since we have that one from the factory, the Probe/Mx-6/626 does not.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MAZDA SPEED MX-3

^thanks thats the info i was looking for.
MAZDA SPEED MX-3

so

JE50 VAF + KL31/KL36 ECU = BEST
JE50 VAF + K801 ECU (chipped) = BETTER
KL02 VAF + KLDE ECU = GOOD

correct
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

MAZDA SPEED MX-3 wrote: JE50 VAF + KL31/KL36 ECU = BEST
JE50 VAF + K801 ECU (chipped) = BETTER
Yes and no.

I like the fuel maps on the Kl31/Kl36 ECU, but they're VRIS point don't match up correctly with a curved-neck intake manifold. I find the Probinator runs richer than I would like. I dont see why you can't get him to do both, I know you tell him what motor, IM and cams you ahve and he burns a program accordindly.

Besides, you can chip a K8 or KL ECU, it doesn't have to be specifically a K8, just can't be the early '92 K8 ECU's. You could even put that chip in a KL31/Kl36, but that would be a waste since they fetch good money still
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”