To turbo, or find new car

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Egfconnor

To turbo, or find new car

Post by Egfconnor »

Hey guys,

So i have a 1994 mazda mx3, 1.6l dohc. basically ive messed with a custom intake, put new brakes on, done audio stuff and replaced plugs/wires/cap/ basically all the easy stuff. The car leaks a little oil onto the tranny, and doesnt burn much at all unless i beat the heck out of it. I like the car alot, but am trying to decide:

Should i do a custom turbo setup? if so...i would need alot of help and info from you guys,

Or should i look for a car that has more potential?

Im a high school student, and really im looking at not having much more then 1,000 bucks to spend.
I was considering a engine swap, but i dont have the money for many of the swaps, and i think it would end up being a little over my head.

Anyone got some thoughts? i can post pictures of engine bay if ya like...its pretty clean with all the stock intake stuff gone i guess.

* oh and if i was going to consider turboing it...i would probably replace the timing belt, check all the compressions and replace the gaskets.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: To turbo, or find new car

Post by Ryan »

I am also a high school student :)

Its an auto? Don't upgrade without the MTX swap. Your tranny will fry.

I plan on doing the BP swap for tops $500. 100 on gaskets, 200 on motor, 50 on ECU, $50 Belts, fried valves, fluids....and the rest is for unforseen costs.

Also, I have an entire shop to do my work in. I work for Mazda :) Vehicle and engine hoists, pneumatics, and every tool imaginable when it comes to cars... My mechanic is also a very helpful guy.

Turboing the DOHC is not a terrible idea. Most people here will tell you to scrap the B6's and move up to BP's, but I say do whatever you want. You might get maybe a redneck turbo set up for $1000. You'll need Blowoff valve, Wastegate, Turbo, Intercooler, Exhaust manifold, turbo piping, fuel management, upgraded injectors, the G series tranny.... guages... lots of knowledge. When I first got my car I was thinking turbo too, but I have since changed my mind. Its too expensive and is still over my head.

The ball park for a good turbo set up is ~ $2000-$3000.
A $1000 turbo set up will get you, most likely, broken rods, valves, transmission, entire head, and a toasted engine.

Happy modding :)

Ryan
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

no its manual, but ya i heard the f series trannys arent good for much more hp then the car has stock. I guess the bp swap is a option...how hard is it for a 94?? isnt there some wiring problems? and where is the best place to get the engine....thanks oh and i do have a huge shop to work on, with full car electric car stand which is pretty much a hoist...
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You can get the engine lots of places, It just depends what kind of risks you want to take.
You can get them from pull-it-yourself junk yards, with no guarantees, but it will be cheapest.
You can do to wreckers that pull it for you, charge you twice(or three times) as much but you'll have some sort of guarantee/warrenty.
You can get it from an importer for the same or a bit more money, with lower K's. You then have to deal with the irritating issues that go with buying engines online/from far away.
You could buy an entire donor car. Thats an advantage because you can see/hear it run. You also have whatever extra parts you need.

Glad its a stick :wink:

F series trannies are.... delicate.

94 wiring. I'm not sure because I've never looked into it. (Because I don't care, I have a 93.) Some say its easier just to swap the entire harness. Add another $100 to your costs. (with solder, tape, and replacing wires when you get pissed off and rip them apart) Also, lots of guys just splice to death, but apparently you need a 3 month vacation after to relieve your migraine.

You're lucky to have a shop/hoist. Lots and lots of these guys are shed/garage mechanics. Gotta love the determination and passion.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

ya for sure..i guess my main thing is i dont wanna wreck my engine with a turbo, thats why im thinking if i can sell my car for like 2,000-2,500 and then get a small loan i could get another car but i figure if i blow up my engine and spend 1,000 on a turbo, then im 1,000 bucks in debt and ive got a car thats worth 1,000 bucks lol....my brother had a GS that he put a KLZE in and that was very good but he has a ton more knowledge than me, and did back when he was in highschool also, but alas he is across the united states now.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

With the proper set up, you won't wreck anything.

That you could do, sell your RS and pick up a GS. Much more potential. ~<$2000 for a KLZE swap? Same HP you'd get out of a B6+T

But then again, I'm addicted to MX3's :)

Just don't buy a civic. Ew.

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

it's about using quality parts and the right information. You will not harm your engine unless you do something stupid. The B6 is said to handle damn near 250hp with a good tune. Just do things right the first time and you'll be fine.
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

so what would be the best things to do to figure out if my engine is in good shape to handle boost?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ryan wrote:That you could do, sell your RS and pick up a GS. Much more potential. ~<$2000 for a KLZE swap? Same HP you'd get out of a B6+T
Why not just swap in a BPT, that's got much more potential out of the box than a ZE and he can keep his RS
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Did you look at his price range?

Green GS - Sold.
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
Feedback
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

just turbo the b6
RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:it's about using quality parts and the right information. You will not harm your engine unless you do something stupid. The B6 is said to handle damn near 250hp with a good tune. Just do things right the first time and you'll be fine.
250 i would say is pretty conservative
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

okay so what things am i gonna need to turbo the b6de dohc engine? and how risky is it? i know the miata's engine was pretty much a bigger b6 or whatever, and they have kits, and handled boost great. Im kinda unfortunately gonna have to do things step by step, start out with the most basic turbo setup that is safe, and then work my way up, but on the things that matter i am willing to spend a little more..
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

There is no cheap way to do this. Take a year and add parts one at a time. FYI my A-pillar is worth damn near a grand with the 2 guages on it. A good clutch 300.00+.... not including all the custom work ex manifold and intercooler pipes. Turbo's aint cheap either. You do not have to do things the same way i am, but it's all about how long you are willing to take and how much you are willing to spend. Search around, there are cheaper ways to this... maybe a grand w/ the b6t goodies.
Egfconnor

Post by Egfconnor »

alright..ya those gauges can be quite spendy lol so anyone know a good place to start? or the basic pieces and where to find them.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Look into picking up pieces from a b6t.
Exhaust manifold
turbo
downpipe
intercooler and piping and dump valve
injectors.
you can put together a kit for a grand look at
homemadeturbo.com for example sure most of them are hondas but same concept.

but remember choose 2
Cheap, Fast, reliable
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”