stock ride height VS lowering

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
tmac4t4

stock ride height VS lowering

Post by tmac4t4 »

is there a major difference in handling, my car was lowered when i got it so i have no way to compare and im thinking about going back to stock setup but not it will affect performance
ImageImageImageImage
ElectricEnergy

Re: stock ride height VS lowering

Post by ElectricEnergy »

It will certainly effect performance. The car handles well stock, but it doesn't even compare to how it drives with some nice stiff lower springs. Just stop complaining about the harsh ride, throw some strut bars on there and some low profile tires. ;)
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

i have front strut bar, and low pro 17's
ImageImageImageImage
ReMXed-95

Post by ReMXed-95 »

i have low profile 205/40 tires with Motegi MR7 rims. the cars lowered 2" with a front top mount strut bar. ive also just installed new KYB GR2 struts..the ride is so much better now that ive got some new struts in, the old KYB ones the car came with were leaking bad and the car bottomed out all the time. now i can go down the same roads no problem.
so yeah.. -lower car add a strut bar to the front and/or rear and add new stuts if you can afford it
KYB-GR2 struts, BG 2" lowering springs, Pearl red paint, Tint, Carbon tails, Short ram intake, Engine swap, Short throw shifter, Custom interior, 2 12" subs, Custom sound, Mazdaspeed ignition, K2 smoked mirrors, Front/ rear Corksport strut bars, Shaved rear wiper, Motegi MR7 17" gunmetal rims with ZR rated low profiles, RS 14" Honeycomb rims, Upgraded brakes and lines and alot more http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3085354
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

With stock, the low pro's are going to make a harsh ride, still. What springs do you have? If they're cheap, that's your cause, along with the low pro's.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think the thing people who've never lowered their car before don't realize until they do, is that the shorter the spring, the stiffer it has to be to keep the car from hitting the tarmac. If the harshness of the ride doesn't bother you, the improved handling is worth the money. Where I live the roads are so poor I can't stand the car with stiff springs. With good, new, stock springs the car does handle pretty darn well though.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

you should also consider getting a rear strut bar as well... you will definately notice a difference then!
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Mooneggs wrote:ou should also consider getting a rear strut bar as well... you will definately notice a difference then!
I agree,

A lot of people say you wont notice the difference. But the car does feel a lot more stiff with a front and back strut bar. I don't know if it improves my times, but it definitely feels better.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Also remember, it's not just how low but more improtantly the actual components your riding one. Cut springs might give you a low car but it's gonna handle like s--- (and be very very very unsafe). If you riding on new ZX2 S/T struts or Koni inserts, and HR/Eibach springs/coilovers, or the best option being K-Sports, THEN you'll have a car that can really take the corners.

ONLY go back to stock if:

- The old stuff is warn and needs replacing
- You don't have enough money for anything better than canadian tire replacement
- You don't want a car that handles like a go kart, but a car with a very soft marshmellowy ride

Also, try driving a Stock mx-3, just to see what you think. Even my girlfriend see's the different between her buik and my mx-3 (eibach plus ZX2 S/T). The steering is much more responsive.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
tmac4t4

Post by tmac4t4 »

well i priced out struts at my parts dealer and monroes are 90$ a peice, and next ones down are like 50-60 bucks a peice....has anyone from canada ordered the KYB's from ajusa.com? right now i cant really afford to do the struts, ive been keepin my eye open for a cheap parts car, found one for 350$ but was one day too late :x ...right now the car doesnt seem to really bottom out, just the struts by the sounds of it,,the car isnt THAT low, only lowered maybe 2 inches..will i damage anything else other than the springs by driving it, im not to worried if i have to do a complete suspension job im just not looking to break anything else :welder:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”