OBD-II pinout

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
nightfire

OBD-II pinout

Post by nightfire »

Does anyone have the OBD-II KL-08 ECU pinout?

Alternatively, does anyone make an MS-II -> KL-08/OBD-II harness?

If not, is there a good source for connectors if I need to run a new harness, or do I just reuse the old sensor connectors?
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: OBD-II pinout

Post by Daninski »

I was going to go to the dealship and get a printout of the OBD1 wiring colour code and OBD2 wiring colour code then simply get an OBD1 plug from a junked MX3, pin the end of each wire on the OBD1 plug, plug them into their respective OBD2 harness positions and then spray a release agent (incase you'd like to unplug it and pour an epoxy type compound into the OBD2 harness to secure the pins. Now you have your own OBD2 into a OBD1 harness adapter. A lot easier I think than ripping out and replacing an entire harness. You need to hurry up. I'm waiting for your to finish before I decide how to do my 96 KLZE. :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Boomslang.us makes OBD2 and OBD1 harness cross overs but mainly for Honda. The guy said they might be able to make one for an MX3 if I supplied him the schematics.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

i like the idea of an adapter..
Im hoping to swap mine in next few weeks..
car can run on OBDII ecu but i want to add a probinator chip..
so guess ill have to swap harnesses
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Damn... if I had the pinouts I could make an adapter cable in an hour.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

me too...
ill donate if someone can find it....
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Have you guys looked into 96 626 or something like it? I'm just asking because when I went through my issues with the RS it was VERY similar to the obd2 miata. The ecu pin outs might be the same even if the engine and ecu are different. I made my own diagrams by pulling the plugs and recording wire colours and positions, then comparing them to other models. As it turns out, the colours were totally different but the positions were damn near exact.
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

is this an adapter for obd II cars to run obd I ecus?
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

96mx-3 wrote:is this an adapter for obd II cars to run obd I ecus?
Exactly. Or, possibly, an adapter to plug an OBD-II vehicle harness into a megasquirt, to be able to drop the original computer back in at any point.
- Gord
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I have the OBD1 plugs (3) with about 6' of wire on them if anyone wants to make an adapter.
Just shipping and my time to ,,,'liberate' them from the Wreckers.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

bump. haha
i just looked for this thread and couldent see it so made one similar. but yeah. Really want this adapter.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Like I said Boomslang.us makes them for Hondas (go figure) but not Mazda. One of the things I thought was to to to each sensor and check the wire colour. I haven't made it to the dealer yet but eventually I will. I plan to see how a ZE works in a 96 with just a VAF and FPR installed. I'm doing the swap right now but probably won't be done for about three weeks (got kids and busy job). I'm wrecking a 92 so I'll probably remove the harness from that vehicle and that'll show me how difficult a harness swap might be.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

mazdasly75

Post by mazdasly75 »

is you ECU's number is K853? I do have the pinout of this, but it's only on a sheet.

Let the connector like that and just pass new wires inside of ECU. You'll have an external connector for the MS and that's the cleanest job you can do. No extra wires in engine bay, just hack new signal through leg of OBD2 connectors and runs through wires that you don't need anymore, like:
-FPR solenoïd, use this one to control the fan solenoïd. You also have a 12V wire to feed solenoïd
-all O² signal wire, since you'r running wideband, that will just throw another code to the ECU without side effect. That will give you 4 connectors. Mainly you got 4 shielded wires to pass new signal inside.
-running ZE? so you got 3 connectors left inside the engine bay. Use it for coil pack system.

Don't forget to cut the engine cell leg ;)
1996 MX3, KL, stock internal, T3T4, 10psi, tial wastegate and blow off, 450cc injectors, 255lph, 3" mandrel bend exaust, 67mmTB, megasquirt II, launch control/flat shift, boost controler, 4bars MAP 16x16 built in, 300whp
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Salut mazdasly75.. :)

That's an impressive setup you've got in your .sig.. is that the lower compression de or a ze?

On topic, if I were going to the trouble of a standalone, I'd probably replace the wiring harness with fresh wire anyway to eliminate any chance of bad connections. Looks nicer anyway.
- Gord
mazdasly75

Post by mazdasly75 »

why do you need a new engine harness??
1996 MX3, KL, stock internal, T3T4, 10psi, tial wastegate and blow off, 450cc injectors, 255lph, 3" mandrel bend exaust, 67mmTB, megasquirt II, launch control/flat shift, boost controler, 4bars MAP 16x16 built in, 300whp

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”