MX3 vs S2000

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cabriolet

MX3 vs S2000

Post by cabriolet »

I has been a little bit of an issue for me
It's kind of personal but I want my MX3 to be built to be a faster car than a S2000. Not just power wise on the straightaway but cornering and handling also. Its really bothering me, is it possible? FF naturally has a weakness, unless the car is damn light, I can almost imagine if I was driving the MX3 I wouldnt be able to beat a same level EG6 beacause its lighter, what kind of setup would I need to beat a S2000?

I dont know if you guys have watched 'touge battle' (search on youtube) , where the famous Tachiguichi or however you spell his name, the "drift king", they race initial D style with tuner's cars. I watched this again and again last night where a EG6 duals off with a S2000 (driven by DK). The EG6 was so light probably that going uphill it WAS faster than the S2000, and it was pulling off in short corners its was unbelivable; FF at its best.

So yes then my friend tells me just get a FC; but there wouldnt be the sleeper feel to it
To beat the S2000, my question is can the MX3 handle better than the EG6?

*might have posted in the wrong section sry*
-------------------------------------------------------
* White 92 MX3 GS * +bone stock K8+ NGK Iridium Plugs + 10.2mm Iridium wires + RAZO shift knob + 8000K HID kit + grant steering wheel [wtb] white fenders
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: MX3 vs S2000

Post by fowljesse »

I REALLY want to race an S2000. The way my car is built, I think I have a chance. Once I replace my windows with Lexan, I think I'll have a good chance.
What is the power/ weight ratio of the S2000?
Mine's about 12.5lbs:1WHP.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I dont understand the big deal aournd S2K's. 240hp, 153lbs tq (162 for the newer style). They arent THAT fast, they cruise well on the highway but a little spray or some boost would be good. Although they are great cars and I wish I had one :)
JoshVK
Supporting Member

Post by JoshVK »

whats a S2000 run in the 1320?
1996 MX-3 GS - rollin' on Rota Slipstreams, (Red, Deep Tint, Black Lip)
True Straight Neck KLZE with TB relocate. Custom Cold air Intake. 2.25 Exhaust to Bosal muffler.
ACT Stage 2, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel, Short Shifter with CorkSport Bushings and SS Clutch Line.
Suspension Techniques Springs On Zx2 Struts. SRD Control arm Bushings, Custom Sway Bar Links
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I got curious and looked it up.
The s2000 has 210 WHP, and did a 14.4 in the 1/4 mi. but the clutch fades quickly, and gets much worse evey run. Although it has 50/50 weight dist., it understeers alot, and pulls about .89g on the skidpad. It weighs 2835 lbs.
With these stats, It would probably just take me at drags (averaging 3 runs), but I think I would just win at a road race (assuming I was driving both).
If I spend about $1000 more, I would have a better performing car than the S2000, and would have spent less than 1/5 of what a used one costs.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

well its a well reputated car
I know its not that good internally but its adequate or overly rated in some cases, but I do honour its got good handling though. One day I just got ticked off by the people owning a S2000, they probably know it themselves that its overated

you guys have to watch this....the famous japanese diftking in the S2000 got beaten by a civic EG6 like I mean you have to be that fast through the corners to beat the S2k

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YMZrDejIpsM

I hate Hondas myself and to be a honda killer the public enemy#1 for me to kill is the S2000
finese and power wise , can the mx3 beat the S2000?
* White 92 MX3 GS * +bone stock K8+ NGK Iridium Plugs + 10.2mm Iridium wires + RAZO shift knob + 8000K HID kit + grant steering wheel [wtb] white fenders
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

PPL that dont own hondas always give em a bad rep. They are a good car, but s2000 and specifically ITR's are WAY over repped. A ITR is not that fast, but everyone assumes it is a badass car, its a glorified and overpriced integra. For a chunk of change you can make your car faster then a s2k, handeling wise its different as you are comparing a FF platform to a FR platform, you would need to do some decent suspension mods to out handle a s2k :) but at the end of the day you spent alot less on a car that can go just as fast and looks just as good if you do it right
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I like videos like that. Alot of people things FF sucks and RWD is the best, but that's a perfect example on how well FF cars can perform in the corners. Of course RWD is much better, the FF is far from being out of the question.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

The S2000 is a great car but you gotta keep so high in the revs that its a hard car for a beginner to drive on a course. It looks great and handles great also, I was going to get one instead of my FD because it was newer but I couldnt help myself and got the FD instead because of the better low end power, equal handling and far superior looks.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Thank you for showing me that video. You restored my faith in my car 100%. I think I was starting to get brainwashed by everyone who says FFs are absolutely garbage.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

RWD is just more fun to drive imo and better handling stock vs stock. I would love to race RB26DETT 240sx vs s2000 and other higher end cars...
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

Illa Killa wrote:The S2000 is a great car but you gotta keep so high in the revs that its a hard car for a beginner to drive on a course. It looks great and handles great also, I was going to get one instead of my FD because it was newer but I couldnt help myself and got the FD instead because of the better low end power, equal handling and far superior looks.

hey illa killa
you will like this, impressive very..
RX7 FD vs. S2000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLhJFKtDQdk
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

ElectricEnergy wrote:Thank you for showing me that video. You restored my faith in my car 100%. I think I was starting to get brainwashed by everyone who says FFs are absolutely garbage.

ya lol np
I just dont like it how ppl say FF cant do anything either
Each chasis has its own advantages and disadvantages
Tough I think most FF cars dont use the full ability of their suspension, how to work around that i dunno, not much a tuner myself so just wanna throw this idea out there and see what ppl got
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I agree that rwd is more fun and a better set up. I'm just tired of people saying that fwd is totally useless.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

ElectricEnergy wrote:I agree that rwd is more fun and a better set up. I'm just tired of people saying that fwd is totally useless.
QFT
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”