50 dollar paint job, any one interested?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Stablo87

50 dollar paint job, any one interested?

Post by Stablo87 »

Hey guys i found a method to paint cars that im going to try soon, any one interested in a worklog? it seems pretty cool and simple plus its cheap.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TREVO123

Re: 50 dollar paint job, any one interested?

Post by TREVO123 »

lets c what u can do
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

The guys paint job actually turned out nice. It's pretty ghetto, but if it works...
Can't wait to see what yours turns out like.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

lol i tried it last summer........turned out like poo....the "gloss black" rustoleum is not gloss black...its like blackish. I tried it with many different cans/mixes and even the professional. I also tried to spraypaint the stuff on. My car looks like poo now so I refuse to post pics of it until I fix it this summer. I wouldn't recommend it.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

lmao.. Lets see the PICS!!!
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

lol negative. My car has patches of brown primer and the rest is different shades of terrible looking black. I'm going to sand it down this summer, fix all the bodywork (its sooo minor, no rust at all, only a few small dings" make sure its all smooth, and either primer it, primer than bring it to a place for painting, or just bring it in to get painted. I'm not going to spend alot on paint at all...I dont have the money for good paint yet, nor do I trust myself to paint the car myself. I'm going to get cheap maaco or something and hope it lasts a few years until I can invest in some tools and have a house of my own. (Im still in school). I need to focus on more important things, like my engine that is getting 15 mpg and my suspension that needs replacement this summer.

But yeah, black did not turn out well. Maybe another color will?
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Sand it, spray can primer it, wet sand, then get a paint shop to throw a quick clear coat on it.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I actually posted on the original thread that Rickwrench got the idea from. It's on Moparts.com, and is about 400 pages long. You should see the black mirror Miata done this way! I'm going to do my MX-3 this way, using Interlux Brightside topside boat paint.
I painted my travelling van silver with a roller and brush, with Home Depot paint, and it turned out great, especially after I polished it to a serious shine. It blinded me many times. The paint lasted several years, thousands of miles from desert to snow, and 5 wrecks, even the one that ended the van, and almost me. The paint held up pretty well, even through the subsequent fire. I wasn't going to post anything until it's done, so no one could say anything negative.
Good luck, and if you have any questions, let me know, and definately do a worklog.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

LOL... that rustoleum is cheap and it come off easily. my .02 just spend the extra $200.00 and take it to maaco
MaX3

Post by MaX3 »

My brother did this to his Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 mud toy that was faded and rusted out. He used the directions that the Mopar website said to use. As long as the body is cleaned really well on the first time around, its goes pretty good. He let it cure over 2 weeks and then wet sanded and painted it again.

I would never recommend people to do this to a good car. Save your money and get a body shop to do it OR build a dust free paintbooth and buy the paint from a body shop supplier.
He who has the most toys wins!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

That corvair paintjob actually looks good in the pics.ahahah. But I'm never going to do such a thing.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

mx3autozam wrote:That corvair paintjob actually looks good in the pics.ahahah. But I'm never going to do such a thing.
Yeah thats what I was thinking.

I need a paint job but I dont think I'll go that way.

Maybe I'll get some primer tips from Mooneges.. :lol:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

lol I guess it's my turn to post here :D

my primer jobs are usually around $50 including all supplies. I am thinking this time around I am going to use flat black instead of primer. It looks like it will not fade as quickly and repel moisture better... I'm just wondering if I should through one coat of clear on it or if that will make it look too shiny?

my roommate thinks I am an idiot for having my cars primered but I don't really care what anyone thinks lol - it's cheap for me right now and I don't have to worry about maintenance and they look the same all the time lol
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Take it to econo you cheapo :)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Mooneggs wrote:lol I guess it's my turn to post here :D

my primer jobs are usually around $50 including all supplies. I am thinking this time around I am going to use flat black instead of primer. It looks like it will not fade as quickly and repel moisture better... I'm just wondering if I should through one coat of clear on it or if that will make it look too shiny?

my roommate thinks I am an idiot for having my cars primered but I don't really care what anyone thinks lol - it's cheap for me right now and I don't have to worry about maintenance and they look the same all the time lol
Hey Mooneggs, have you ever posted a write up on the process you use to paint your cars? I'd be interested in the details of how you do that thing you do....with the primer I mean.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Appearance”