klze vs bp(t)

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
sha-d

klze vs bp(t)

Post by sha-d »

hey guys. haven't been on here for the longest time..

anyways, i would like to know which is a better setup, fuel economy is a must as gas prices are just whack nowadays.

Theres a 1992 MX3, klze v6, 100,000km on engine, 20,000 on swap.

I did have a 323 with a bp and i totally loved it.

Question is, is it worth the trouble. i know i will make more power with a stock klze TT over a stock bp-t.

what do you think?
Speed...thats all that matters
hgallegos915

Re: klze vs bp(t)

Post by hgallegos915 »

bpt would be the most obvious answer, its lighter , 4 cyl, can be tunned better.. klze is not to much of a boost friendly engine.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

it seems like if it already has a klze just stick with that for now... it seems to be alot of trouble swapping 4 cylinder parts to a v6 and vice versa...

I guess you would get a little better mpg with a 4 cylinder... but the price you would pay to find a bpt - is it worth it?
sha-d

Post by sha-d »

well i won't get the actual bpt, but bp plus t lol...i've got one out of a protege gt for cheap with ok km's. turbo is no problem as i have a couple of them.

would the bp fit the klze tranny?

just want something to have fun with. cruise around and go on mountain runs..

:love2:
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

you can't worry about fuel prices on one hand and willing to spend lots of money and time with an unorthodox swap. If you have a turbo, you need to run premium. None of this makes sense.
sha-d

Post by sha-d »

ofcourse it does. everything makes perfect sence.

1. 4cyl turbo > 6cly turbo
2. spend now, laugh later
3. less headache doing the swap as i have done this before
4. great social place
5. i love you
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

You've gone from a ZE to a BPT? Then why ask it the ze tranny would bolt up to a bp? Seems like someone is trying to get their post count up.
sha-d

Post by sha-d »

point of this thread was to get peoples' opinion on whether it's better to swap out the klze and swap in a bp-t. it being lighter, gas efficient, and most likely a better engine.

but having someone like you commenting useless comments, it's just a waste of time for me, you, someone else's useful info.

back on topic.
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

sha-d wrote:ofcourse it does. everything makes perfect sence.

1. 4cyl turbo > 6cly turbo
2. spend now, laugh later
3. less headache doing the swap as i have done this before
4. great social place
5. i love you
:lol: ...got me to laugh. I would say if it is an already ZE swapped mx-3 and it is running fine, why mess with swapping in a BP and related parts etc..? :shrug: BUT, I still say go BP plus turbo, but I'm bias as that is what I am doing :2thumbsup:
:D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

sha-d wrote:Question is, is it worth the trouble. i know i will make more power with a stock klze TT over a stock bp-t.
KLZE doesn't come in turbo form, never mind twin turbo.
hgallegos915 wrote:bpt would be the most obvious answer, its lighter , 4 cyl, can be tunned better.. klze is not to much of a boost friendly engine.
Are you sure? the KLZE is an all aluminum engine. The BP is cast iron, plus add all the weight of the turbo components, i wouldn't be surprised if the different isn't that much.

KLZE out of the box isn't boost friendly. DE is a bit better. The benefit for the B6/BP is that the turbo components are either included, or simply plug-and-play. KL turbo kits are pretty much custom. But in terms of potential if you want to spend the money, you can get more power out of a KL than a BP if your looking at like 400-500hp. They've gotten KL's to 800 and 1000hp.
Mooneggs wrote:it seems like if it already has a klze just stick with that for now... it seems to be alot of trouble swapping 4 cylinder parts to a v6 and vice versa...

I guess you would get a little better mpg with a 4 cylinder... but the price you would pay to find a bpt - is it worth it?
Ya, exactly.

I've always wondered about the fuel economy of a turbo 4cyl vs a KLZE. I know my milleage increase significantly when i swaped from my K8, but that's only true if i drive easy, it's kinda hard to not have fun and drive hard :)
sha-d wrote:well i won't get the actual bpt, but bp plus t lol...:
Apparently the better way because the N/A head flows better, and you'd get more Hp-per-PSI with it being higher-compression than it's turbo varient, but what about the rods? I'm sure the BPT rods are forged, but what about the stock BP?
sha-d wrote: would the bp fit the klze tranny?
No

sha-d wrote: just want something to have fun with. cruise around and go on mountain runs..
A KLZE is very, very fun. It would only be worth swapping to a BPT from a GS is you want high horsepower, but that was back in the day before all the aftermarket KL components became available.
RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:you can't worry about fuel prices on one hand and willing to spend lots of money and time with an unorthodox swap. If you have a turbo, you need to run premium. None of this makes sense.
You know, what makes alot of sence. Even then, would you want to spend all that time and money and work and not want to drive it because you can't afford the gas? If you want a fast car, they're not usually cheap on gas. I know my KLZE is, but only when driving easy, and driving easy isnt fun, lol
sha-d wrote: 1. 4cyl turbo > 6cly turbo
Not exactly
sha-d wrote: 2. spend now, laugh later
Damn straight
sha-d wrote: 3. less headache doing the swap as i have done this before
BP swap into a 4cyl 323/Mx-3 is NOT the same as doing a BP swap in a V6 Mx-3. nothing custom mind you, but sure as hell isn't plug and play. You'll need a RS doner car for alot of the engine bay parts.
sha-d wrote: 4. great social place
Of course
sha-d wrote: 5. i love you
We love you too
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
sha-d

Post by sha-d »

i know the klze isn't T lol. i was planning of tt'ing it.

thing is, i have lots of space/time/a significant amount of funds to finally spend on modifying a car. i love mx3's. it has a klze, but the [due to a whole lot of swearing, the mod(me) has modified this part of the sentence for virgin eyes] owner sold the car a couple of hours before i got there. yes we had an appointment and cash was in hand.

now i'm back at square1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OMGJDM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

If you have a RS, BP. If you have a GS, KL-ZE.

Or better yet, get a RS and a GS. That way, you can do the BP-T and the KL-ZE route.
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
sha-d

Post by sha-d »

you saying i can twin engine my mx3? how would that work? shouldn't i have two of the same engine powering the front and back?
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Flyer wrote:If you have a RS, BP. If you have a GS, KL-ZE.

Or better yet, get a RS and a GS. That way, you can do the BP-T and the KL-ZE route.
Pretty sure he said get one of each and build up a ZE and a BP-T since you have the money and time.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
93MX3KLZE-T

Post by 93MX3KLZE-T »

Why would you want to twin turbo the kl? That would be a waste of time and money. Just put a single turbo on it and call it a day. My veiw is keep the ze and when you start to get board with that then turbo it.

Jeremy
93 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, T304E ***SOLD***
221.9 whp 219.0 wtq @ 5 psi untuned
13.4 @ 108 mph

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”