Suddenly Lost 2nd,4th, and reverse together

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
5speedMX

Suddenly Lost 2nd,4th, and reverse together

Post by 5speedMX »

I've got a 94 1.6l 4cy dohc.
I was driving home from the mall today and downshifted from 4th to 3rd to climb a hill and when I tried to go back to 4th the shifter wouldn't go back into 4th. I stopped to check it out and realized that 2nd and reverse were gone too.
Clutch works fine, but when trying to get it into 2nd 4th or reverse it acts like it doesn't even have those gears. Don't hear any grinding when trying to put it into those gears, just like it can't go back at all.
Any Ideas on what could cause this?!?!?
It ain't done 'til it's done right.
Limegreen mx-3

Re: Suddenly Lost 2nd,4th, and reverse together

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

sounds like ur tranny is taking a shyt
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Is it odd that its only the bottom gears? Maybe there is just a problem with the linkage. Jack the car up and take a look.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
5speedMX

Post by 5speedMX »

I checked everything external so I'm taking the tranny out tomorrow for either rebuild or replacement what's the better option it's hard to find used parts for this car here. Any suggestions?
se7en

Post by se7en »

it could be really warn bushings, i had a problem similar to that, and I just replaced those and it fixed it.

I hope for your sake that is what it is.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

went through this right before I tossed the spider gears in the Differential, good luck hopefully it isn't as bad as mine....
Kakarot 135
5speedMX

Post by 5speedMX »

I've got the tranny on the ground and opened it up. None of the shift forks are broken and everything LOOKS ok. The shifter works through all the gears now but I've got the case open so I'm not sure how it'll work with everything together. There was some debris on the magnet (a few small pieces of metal) one of the gears has a couple cripped teeth. I'm wondering if a piece of metal was jamming the shifter. I don't want to put it back in and it start again. What else should I check. Any ideas or suggestions?
se7en

Post by se7en »

bits of metal on the magnet is totally normal. Somestimes tranny shops use that a a tactic to 'show' people that your trannies are toast, when they in reality are in just fine shape.

Quick question for you.. how are the bushings on the transmission side(shifter linkage bushings)

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Who needs 2nd, 4th, or reverse!!!! just always pull through when parking or park on a hill. LOL

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
5speedMX

Post by 5speedMX »

The Shift linkage bushings are in good shape. It was like the shifter was hitting something when I tried to push in on it even with the linkage disconnected. I cleaned the metal out so I'm gonna try puttin it all back together tomorrow and see how it feels before I put it back in the car.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Had the exact same problem with my tranny, lost all my bottom gears one day and im like ok,.. then a week later then they came back and then the tranny started to stick and it blew the diff and the spider gears were done.. time for a new tranny.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
5speedMX

Post by 5speedMX »

Thanks for the replies. I took the diff out today and the spider gears are in pretty bad shape. They probably woulda worked long enough to get me stuck on the side of the road the next time I spin my wheels at a light. Should I just replace those or should I just replace the tranny? All the other gears are in good shape.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

mine as well just replace the tranny, Should be cheaper in the long run. unless your going LSD which would be kinda stupid on the tranny, not sure if they even have it on that one.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811

Return to “Transmissions”