I just swapped 2.5 KLZE and now there are some PROBLEMS

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ShuHayate09

I just swapped 2.5 KLZE and now there are some PROBLEMS

Post by ShuHayate09 »

I just put in my KLZE 2.5 ...

>>>> There is a weird smell in the car, maybe burning oil?

>>>> When i shift into 1st gear ( with clutch still fully depressed)... it either drops to 0 revs and stalls or EXTREMELY low revs

>>>> When it idles ... the revs go up and down like kinda like its pulsing... 1200rpm...........300rpm.........1200rpm.........200rpm......1300rpm.......stall~~~~

What can i do about this ? I seriously need some help,

any input would be greatly appreciated ^_^

ps: im having a lot of trouble on hills lately with the fact i stalled 3 times on this little incline... i avoided all hills in my city for about a week now
ElectricEnergy

Re: I just swapped 2.5 KLZE and now there are some PROBLEMS

Post by ElectricEnergy »

It sounds to me like you either have a vacuum leak or your TPS isn't properly adjusted yet. I've only just started learning about the ZE myself though since I just started the swap project.

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

1.) First off are you getting a check engine light?, if so pull them before anything else.

2.) Make sure you have all the vacuum lines hooked up that needs to be. Be honest this is the number one cause of rough idle when swapping in a klze.

3.) did you set the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), the little sensor on the Throttle Body.

4.) which intake system do you have? are you still using the box? if so then check for any cracks in the ribbed tube going to your Throttle body. Any little crack in this place will cause huge problems.

5.) which ECU do you have in there at the moment? i know when i had the K8 ECU in there it would shift horribly, would jerk and it would smell like fuel all the time.

The burning oil smell could be anything... the question is how much oil are you loosing?

The switching into 1st, could be a vacuum leak and you haven't set the idle properly or the timing. AND! did you bleed the clutch? made sure its moving properly before driving!?
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
ShuHayate09

Post by ShuHayate09 »

1.) First off are you getting a check engine light?,
... yeah i am getting the check engine light now and then

2.) Make sure you have all the vacuum lines hooked up that needs to be. Be honest this is the number one cause of rough idle when swapping in a klze.
... oh

3.) did you set the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), the little sensor on the Throttle Body.
... set? calibrate?

4.) which intake system do you have? are you still using the box? if so then check for any cracks in the ribbed tube going to your Throttle body. Any little crack in this place will cause huge problems.
... box yeah... and oh crap

5.) which ECU do you have in there at the moment? i know when i had the K8 ECU in there it would shift horribly, would jerk and it would smell like fuel all the time.
... do i need a KLZE j-spec ecu?

The burning oil smell could be anything... the question is how much oil are you loosing?
...fair amount

The switching into 1st, could be a vacuum leak and you haven't set the idle properly or the timing. AND! did you bleed the clutch? made sure its moving properly before driving!?
... n...no i didnt :(
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

ShuHayate09 wrote:1.) First off are you getting a check engine light?,
... yeah i am getting the check engine light now and then

... oh

... set? calibrate?

... box yeah... and oh crap

... do i need a KLZE j-spec ecu?

...fair amount

... n...no i didnt :(
1.) what year is your car? i dont know if you can pull codes, if its a 92-94 then.... Get a paper clip and look for alittle black box by the battery and open it. Stick the paper clip in TEN and GND. then go in your car and turn your ignition on, dont start it! and watch the blinks the check engine light shows. take your shop manual (if you have one) and check which code its throwing. Then from there we can help you more.

3.) setting the TPS takes abit, do you have feeler gauge and a multimeter? if you do then search the forums on how to set it.

5.) get your K8 ECU chipped, its the cheapest way if you sorta have an idea on how to soldier. Again there is alot of people on here with DIY's manuals on how to do this just have to search.

The oil issue i have no clue, check for any leaks it might be leaking on your exhaust manifolds/headers and burning, giving off that smell but check if you have any leaks first. Secondly check if you punch it and see if its smoking out the exhaust.

make sure you set the idle and timing before even driving it... and the clutch part, its just like bleeding your brakes.... the bleeder screw is in front of the transmission below your distributor.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
ShuHayate09

Post by ShuHayate09 »

wow, thanx man. thats crazy useful ...

and yeah 1992!

chipped huh? i can solder... ive taken 5 years of electronics so i should be able to figure it out... with the DIY manuals of course ^_^
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Sounds to me like the TPS is way out of adjustment. Tnhats your surging idle and probably you stalling problem as well.

Check for codes, and make sure there are no vacum leaks at all.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Nice helpful replies. I would agree and say check for vacuum leaks in the intake ductwork as that is easy. Then adjust throttle positions sensor adjustment if there are no vacuum leaks.

But first, if its blowing blue smoke out the back of the exhaust at all times... that is no good and would indicated worn rings. So hopefully that is not the issue that you received one with bad rings. It could possibly do this for a short period of time if the motor was just installed and not running for some time, but would go away relatively soon.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Yah you'll need a new ECU forsure. Contact probegtze@hotmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; about a chip for your ECU. You'll need to open up your old one and take a picture and send it to him so he can tell weather or not your ecu CAN be chipped.

Also, yes you can solder it in yourself. All you need is a de solder iron (the balloon type, the pen type won't work) and a solder gun, with solder. All you do is take out and put in an new chip, so it's not a big deal...probably about 20 contact points. I've done two so far, both work fine. Practice on an old modem, taking out and putting back in components.

As for the TPS adjustment, see this FAQ (your lucky i'm nice and didnt' force you to search haha)
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=47561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go grab an intergra intake kit off ebay, any year works fine, that will free you of your air leak problems.

Also, what codes are you throwing?
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”