KLZE and Carbon Build-up

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ElectricEnergy

KLZE and Carbon Build-up

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I went and picked up my motor today. It looks pretty good from the outside. It has KL31 Cams, KL31-101/KL31-1A1 heads, a Straight Neck Manifold, and No EGR. The only thing I can't verify are the pistons. Am I honestly supposed to be able to see if they are flat/dished by shining a light down the spark plug hole?

While trying to see the piston tops I made an observation that has me somewhat concerned. They are totally coated in carbon. Is that normal? Is it going to be a problem? I can tell that it has been running rich because the spark plugs are black and so are the piston tops.

Is it safe to assume this is a ZE considering all the supporting evidence so far? Are there engines out there with KL31 cams and non-high compression pistons?

I plan to replace darn near all the seals in the engine before it goes in the car. The complete gasket set that I ordered from eBay includes 2 head gaskets. Should I replace these or just leave them alone. Can I trust the eBay head gaskets to last?

Thanks in advance
David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
mx3autozam

Re: KLZE and Carbon Build-up

Post by mx3autozam »

If its got no egr, straight neck, with kl31 heads and kl31 cams. its definitly a true klze...Does it also have a 7nipple disty on it?? Thats another evidence.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

It does indeed!

Excellent. I didn't get ripped off. I really thought I had been before I saw the motor in person. That is such a relief.

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Right on man!! cant wait tell your done man! if you need any help get a hold of me, but its pretty straight forward.

do you have msn add me if you do Smith_The_Best@hotmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

AWESOME

I'm so friggen pumped you don't even know, thats THREE mx-3's rollin in saskatoon with KLZE's

The carbon build up only means that there is un burned fuel left over, so it was running rich. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Were did you get it from? Calgary? Man if you need any help let me know too, and i want to help you put it in!
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

haha!! yeah where they come from they don't drive their cars that far and they barely see any highway time, once you get it in there with some 91+ octane, fuel injector cleaner plus some good high way runs! it will be good as new.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I've finally found some time to get farther into the inspection of the engine, so far everything looks great, but I still have 1 last concern and I really need to put my mind to rest.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are true KLZE engines where everything is correct (including cams) except for the pistons. Did they switch to a low compression piston at some point?

The reason I ask is that if I look down the spark plug hole, I can see a ring in the cylinder head, maybe .5" in diameter. Is that supposed to be there in a high compression flat top piston?

I've been looking for pictures to compare to my findings, but I'm having a hard time finding what I'm look for. If I'm correct about the "low compression ZE" thing, what is the power difference?

Should I just stop worrying? Sorry, I've got a little OCD :freak:
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Man, the straight neck was always high compression as far as i know, as for the carbon buildup, rape the motor when you install, it will go away :)
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Thanks for the reassurance. I just found a picture of some pistons in someones work log. Looks like the flat top pistons have that ring. I should be good to go... Sweet!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”