Hot Bits coilovers any good?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Whisper

Hot Bits coilovers any good?

Post by Whisper »

Apparently they make coilovers for our cars, and they cost about as much as AST coilovers (in the $2000-$2500 range, depending on options). However they're in Canada, so shipping charges might be less for some.

This is from the e-mail I got:

-------------
Basic kit with canisters and non adjustable valving $1640us
DT1 single adjustable kit $1906us
DT2 dual adjustable kit $2173us

Top mounts at time of order are $466us.
For a daily driver these do create more noise as there is no rubber insulator, but add more precise steering and front camber adjustment.
--------------

I've asked for specs and a dyno, chances are I won't get it, but we'll see.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Anyone?

I haven't gotten any info, as expected. They're available in Canada, but apparently made in Australia, so it should be decent quality.

However I'm seriously considering AST kit instead. Still researching...
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I have never heard of Hot Bits in my life, not to say that they aren't good, or aren't bad. Ya never know. They aren't super cheap so unelss they have crazy prices for shitty parts, they're probably good.

I'd do some more research, search some reviews on google and what not. Also look at AST, get all the info, and then compare them side by side for features and price, as well as what kind of ride you want and what kind of adjustability.

All i can say is research your a-- off!
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeh, that's what I'm doing.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Ok, so this is what I got from Hotbits:
Hi Gene,

I don't have any dyno runs for the MX3, dyno specs differ between dynos manufactures and as a general reference base for changing valving are useful, but otherwise mean very little. It still comes down to seat time in the vehicle, and yes I do have a dyno at the shop. I custom tune for all kinds of application from drag, rally, street, solo, track and Targa Newfoundland. The dyno is of little use. I answer emails constantly for dyno specs and they are never from racers, the internet forums cause requests for more useless information and questions, sorry I am ranting...we are the only custom tunable/servicable dampers in our price range in North America. Check out our website news and see how well we tune, Targa 2007 results.

What specs do you want? I attached our TUV (German standard for automotive) inspection sheet for the struts in the MX3. The piston rods on the MX3 are 22mm, 46mm main piston with a second guide piston for lateral load strength, 5mm wall, canisters are 40mm with machined aluminum floating pistons with dual guides. The DT1 units have 40 position dampening, DT2 have 40 position rebound and 30 position of rebound.

Custom spring rates are also no problem, I think I missed that in the last email. No extra charge if done at ordering.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Regards,
Peter
So...I donno.

It's a bit cheaper than AST, and unlike AST they offer top mounts.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

based on the level of detail he's providing regarding the specifications of the device and his frank discussion of his feelings on the usefullnes of dyno values, whether you agree or not, would give me confidence. At least he seems to have given it serious thought and he's not trying to blow you off.

I'm not knowledgable enough to say whether he's describing a good design, but I know enuogh about manufacturing and manufacturers to get a good feeling about him from this email. Guys you can't trust guard their information. Guys you can trust are the ones who are happy to share.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

request a discount since you cant find anyone that has these, most companies would be willing to give you a 10-15% discount (not much i know) for you to give your testimony. You can also ask about partial sponsorship and they would probably give you a larger discount of course with that you have to do more.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

wytbishop wrote:based on the level of detail he's providing regarding the specifications of the device and his frank discussion of his feelings on the usefullnes of dyno values, whether you agree or not, would give me confidence. At least he seems to have given it serious thought and he's not trying to blow you off.

I'm not knowledgable enough to say whether he's describing a good design, but I know enuogh about manufacturing and manufacturers to get a good feeling about him from this email. Guys you can't trust guard their information. Guys you can trust are the ones who are happy to share.
Oh, I'm sure he's not looking to rip me off. No doubt the kit is of high quality, but then so is AST kit, and the AST has actually provided dyno info. I don't think it's a choice between a lemon and the real deal, it's more of which is the best deal.

I sent Steeb a message, since he seems to be the suspension guy on here, and I'll see what he says.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Mnemonic wrote:request a discount since you cant find anyone that has these, most companies would be willing to give you a 10-15% discount (not much i know) for you to give your testimony. You can also ask about partial sponsorship and they would probably give you a larger discount of course with that you have to do more.
Well, on one hand yeah, I would possibly be the first guy reviewing the product so I got some leverage, but on other other hand there aren't really that many choices, so it's not like I can go elsewhere if I don't get a discount, so they got just as much leverage. I'll ask. Probably won't go for sponsorship.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

there are options besides ast, all of the probe/mx6 coilovers WILL fit the mx3 with minor modifications so that opens up alot more options
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Sounds like he's willing to work with you to get it tuned correctly. If you're close enough to him to make that a viable scenario, I think I'd want to try it assuming it's in the budget.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Mnemonic wrote:there are options besides ast, all of the probe/mx6 coilovers WILL fit the mx3 with minor modifications so that opens up alot more options
Yeah, I've heard people made the MX-6 coilovers fit, but I never understood what type of modification is actually required for fitment. I mean, if it's so doable, why haven't I heard of anyone putting Probe Tein Superstreet kit on their car? Seems like a great deal...

Though it would seem if someone makes coilovers that are designed to work and fit specifically with our car, those would be a better option...
kenken

Post by kenken »

hotbits is quite famous in my country, Malaysia. Hotbits is from Germany(suspension) and Australia(exhaust). Besides coilovers, they are also making exhaust systems for various cars.

As far as I know, Hotbits coilovers are quite hard and not very comfortable. It's for people who prefer performance over comfort. It is also one of the most coilovers in Malaysia. The price is comparable with brands like CUSCO and TEIN.

In Malaysia, a lot of cars from autocross use HOtbits.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

So pretty stiff, eh? I see. I guess they could be custom springed and custom valved for comfort, though. I AM looking for performance, but it would have to be an acceptable daily driver as well.

How's quality and adjustability, though? Do you know?
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

just seen an advert for hotbits sports suspension in Japanese Performance magazine, this is the uk site they are on.

http://www.unit-8.co.uk

nothing for the mx3 though grrrr :evil:
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”