A possible first

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
micromarc

A possible first

Post by micromarc »

First up guys quick hello from scotland.

Me and my mad mechanic have come with rather a cunning plan for an engine swap. Getting rid of the stock 1.8 v6 and replace it with a 2.5 v6 twin turbo from a mitsi gallant.
The engine runs 280bhp standard, and we reckon with simple work can get about 350bhp out of it.
On paper it seems cheaper than the boosted ze.

Just wondering if its been done before?

And waht you guys think?
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I say good luck. any motor will fit in but just takes time and money.

I personally say put a ZE in it.don't spend all kinds of cash on a 15year old car. and properly tuned ZE mx3 will go pretty good. I'm satisfied with how mine have been.

thats just my $0.02
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I think you should consider some things before starting all this.
What degree of angle is the Mitsu motor. The K series use a 60* V b/c It allows for the engine to fit under our extremely sloped hood. If the Mitsu motor is much different you might have clearnace issues with the hood or firewall. Also, the trans is an issue as our manual trans are pretty short. Much longer and you'll have issues with the engine cradle, or frame rail. Axles will be a real trick as I doubt the Galant has the same track width as the Mx-3 or Probe. Then what about spline count. The MX uses a 24 spline shaft, does the Mitsu offer a 24 spline tranny so that you have an easier time fitting axles? If not you have to mate a Mistu spline (however many splines that is) to the 24 spline MX spindle. What about cooling. Are the upper and lower hoses on the motor in about the same spots or are they atleast on the same sides and the K series. If not you'll need a custom radiator. How about shift linkage. Does the Mitsu use a hard shift bar or a cable shift? Either way I bet it is a buggar to get the shift linkage to match up with the MX-3s shift lever. If it is too hard you might consider using the Mitsu shift lever on the Mx and fabbing a way to make it attach to the unibody.
All in all, what I'm saying is that I think it would be easier and maybe cheaper to get a KL and put a TT on it. Although bastard cars are unique, they are often a real bear to put together.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
micromarc

Post by micromarc »

Cheers for that, thats the sort of replies i need before i start, see what i need to find out before i start.

Any ideas where i can find out info on the engine?

Good news is that were swapping in a manual box from an fto.

All advise welcome guys.
micromarc

Post by micromarc »

Anyone else got any views?
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

asuming your talking about the 6A13TT engine.... thats a hella big motor.

your trying to put this:
into this:

- Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
micromarc

Post by micromarc »

Very good point.

We did however take a quick measure............................................................................................
.........................................................................................................
....................and it fits like rather a tight glove! :lol:
Nd4SpdSe

Re: A possible first

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

micromarc wrote:Me and my mad mechanic have come with rather a cunning plan for an engine swap. Getting rid of the stock 1.8 v6 and replace it with a 2.5 v6 twin turbo from a mitsi gallant.
On paper it seems cheaper than the boosted ze.
Hmm.

Booted KL : Plug-N-Play engine swap and ready made turbo kits that work with will some modification

TT Mitsubishi 2.5L V6 : Custom engine swap with custom drivetrain and custom electrical integration + custom turbo setup, all untested with no information on how and if possible.

Parts for parts, if you have some connections, maybe your TT-Mitsu will be cheaper, but in terms of labor and fabrication, I'm sure if going to come out significantly more.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Measure from oil pan to the valve cover on both sides. Should be about the same per motor, but heigth looks like an issue. The Mitsu motor looks like a slighter angle than 60* too, which I said about might be an issue. The Galant hood is like most sedans, pretty straight out from the windshield, the MX's is at a good dive. The turbo piping on the Galant runs over the front bank. I know there is not enough room in the MX to run that pipe over a KL V6's front bank so I really doubt it will fit over the Mitsu motor in a MX-3. Anyway, best way to check all this is just to attach the motor and trans, and drop them in with a hoist. Then measure clearance, if it will atleast go down to the approximate spot. It will quickly let you know what the issues are looking like. That is assuming you have access to the Mitsu motor and trans.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
micromarc

Post by micromarc »

I m thinkin it will be cheaper to set up as we will be using the fto wiring loom which is plug and play. and also the manual gear box.
It will be easier to get higher power figures as the engine can already handle the boost, then for even more power we do some internal work, which will give much better power figures than the ze.

We wont need much custom on the turbos, just the intercooler piping, and maybe the routing of the coolant pipes.
The swap is very common on the fto and if you look closely at the mx and fto they are very simmilar.

I m getting all parts trade price, doing the majority of the work myself and my mechanics going to do the custom mounts, very cheaply ( cost wise)
Hes an expert at doing swaps so we should be laughing.

Spoke to someone about the driveshafts, fully custom built, nice and strong about £150. :lol:
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

By all means consider what everyone has to say and plan ahead - but please dont get discouraged by the tasks - there is a lot of information about certain swaps because someone took the initiative to do it first. Be the first to do something other than the beaten to death swaps - its all a matter of money and time and lots of elbow grease... and dont forget to post pictures and dynosheets.....
micromarc

Post by micromarc »

Will do.

Stage 1 s about to start, cage should be getting custom fabricated in the next few weeks.
Coilovers are being made in japan as we speak.

And the hunt is on for an engine! :lol:

Wheres the best place for puting project pics up?
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

start your own worklog in the worklog section!
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Isn`t the mitsu turbo also a 4wd car?
Wich gearbox are you going to use?
a 4wd gearbox would not work, as you probably know.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

holy s---..

this is actually going to happen. Finally, somebody just does it. Good luck, and I encourage you to complete this swap! DEFANTly make a very detailed work log for the rest of us.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”